The days drag but the years fly

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Its an interesting topic...
If team is already verballed/recruited...
Continue to compete in tournys understandable....
But continue going to showcase events???
Hmmm?
And some still doooo.....
Guess paying for games is paying for games?!

May 27, 2013
Its an interesting topic...
If team is already verballed/recruited...
Continue to compete in tournys understandable....
But continue going to showcase events???
Hmmm?
And some still doooo.....

Our team is a mix of girls from HS freshmen to seniors, with the majority being the underclasamen at 18U. Why wouldn’t those committed still play on a team like that? They still attract their college coaches to watch our games so it might help the younger players with their recruitment, as well.

May 27, 2013
Also, I know one of the seniors who BT is referring to on his DD’s team. If I’m not mistaken, I think she may have committed to her school (huge softball P5 school) while a sophomore (before the rule change). If not allowed to continue to play in showcases, what would be the other option for a super talent such as that player?

May 27, 2013
What I don’t agree with are the college players who continue to play in showcase events - meaning after they’ve already played in college for a season.

Apr 28, 2014
Our 9 seniors are all going on to play college ball and every one of them wanted to play this summer. We were scheduled for one more showcase event that was moved to august due to Covid but our team won't play that one as the org is putting together a team of kids who are still searching for that perfect fit. Awesome idea!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Our team is a mix of girls from HS freshmen to seniors, with the majority being the underclasamen at 18U. Why wouldn’t those committed still play on a team like that? They still attract their college coaches to watch our games so it might help the younger players with their recruitment, as well.
Was referring to when the entire team is already verballed.

And sometimes with team who have players both already verbal and some still showcasing... from here in California... Example some players have opted to not go to places like Florida D9 and pay for that extra cost when they know their daughter who is already recruited won't be playing that much because the other players will be given that showcase time. So they decide not to go to that tournament and save $$$$. But they stay on the team to compete in tournaments like pgf. idt.
This is possibly a cause
for higher roster #'s ?!

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
I can only speak for our team. The coaches plan for equal playing time as much as possible unless a college coach specifically asks to see a certain player in the game. That player will then go in the game or stay in the game and typically not get subbed out. However, it really is on the players to email the coaches to get them to the showcases or ask if they will be watching our live feed (our HC will call the coaches ahead of time if the players are too young to allow for free communication between the college coaches and the players). So far, our system has worked very well for many years.

May 27, 2013
The only time we had a senior not go to D9 since we’ve been with the org was a player who was having a difficult time getting recruited because of her academic grades. I believe she wound up leaving softball all together after that fall season.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Just out of curiosity, do you find that a lot of girls play after their senior season? My DD is a rising junior, and she talks about having two years left of club ball. But I would think there's a LOT going on the summer before college, and I just always assumed she'd have other stuff to she'd want to do before she leaves home.

Have you seen most girls who are serious about playing want to get that last season in?

Yes, DD and all her senior friends are playing right up to when she leaves to college.

And since she is eligible for 18U, unless her coach says no (which she won't) she is planning on playing a tournament or two with some friends in mid-late December when she gets back after Thxgiving (they go online and are not returning to campus after the break)

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
What I don’t agree with are the college players who continue to play in showcase events - meaning after they’ve already played in college for a season.

While I certainly understand your point, it takes good competition to help show off good player's abilities. If I'm watching a prospect catcher and she handles a commit pitcher well, she scores more points in my book. Same for a prospect hitter jacking a big time commit pitcher. If the competition isn't there, you won't really know how they could step up to the next level.

But more often than not, usually when you see teams in showcases with multiple commits, organizations are marketing themselves to the next crop. It is a business...and I get it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA