The corners...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2012
At tryouts, what would you say are the attributes you look for in selecting your 1st base and your 3rd base players. I realize they are very different. Our team is pretty much set, but have some quality athletes at the tryout that might be an upgrade.

Jul 26, 2010
What age group? At 10u and 12u, the first baseman can make or break a team. At 14u and up, it's pretty much the only place to hide a kid that is a good hitter but slow, and even that requires that your pitchers make up the speed on bunt coverage. This is because at 14u, if you can't catch, dig, and block a ball, you should no longer be playing the sport.

3B is another animal entirely. This kid needs to be super aggressive, quick, and have absolutely no fear.

-W

Sep 17, 2009
I' be very careful "upgrading" based on what you see at a tryout ... even though you can see some things in that environment you are almost always buying blind in a tryout situation. We learned that lesson this fall : <

As for corners, I like a 1st basemen that can really play first base...good footwork, stretch, stretch-and-scoop (forehand and backhand), no crouching, a strong arm, a lefty really is a good thing at first. For 3B, a strong arm, blast a bunch of balls at her see how she reacts, can she dive left and right, can she cut in front of shortstop and have good footwork etc.

And both should hit.

Good luck.

Apr 1, 2010
Yeah, what they said, LOL.

Neither player has to be a speedster, but they should have quick reflexes, good eye-hand coordination and big bats.

Height and armspan for a first baseman. DD played on a team with a lefty first baseman who had a great glove and was extremely reliable. However, she was small. If someone threw a bit high to first, it was over her head and gone, while an opponent's first baseman probably would have been able to leap (or stretch up) and come down with the ball.

Third baseman has to be quick and fearless with a strong, accurate cannon for an arm. Got to make those outs at first.

They need to be decent kids with decent parents.

JMHO.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Yeah, what they said, LOL.

Neither player has to be a speedster, but they should have quick reflexes, good eye-hand coordination and big bats.

Height and armspan for a first baseman. DD played on a team with a lefty first baseman who had a great glove and was extremely reliable. However, she was small. If someone threw a bit high to first, it was over her head and gone, while an opponent's first baseman probably would have been able to leap (or stretch up) and come down with the ball.

Third baseman has to be quick and fearless with a strong, accurate cannon for an arm. Got to make those outs at first.

They need to be decent kids with decent parents.
JMHO.

I thought I had devised a fool proof tryout test for this - accidentally drop $20 bills around the field and bleachers and and then see who keeps or returns them - then the wind blew. Back to the drawing board.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
3rd base needs to be aggressive and willing to charge bunts fearlessly, you do not want a 3rd baseman who plays on her heels. Arm needs to be strong enough to make throws on a 'rope' to 1B. First base you want a big girl with good height and wing span, who hopefully also brings a big bat!

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
3B is another animal entirely. This kid needs to be super aggressive, quick, and have absolutely no fear.-W

Ditto....Cannot express aggressiveness or cat like reflexes enough.

First base is always important. Almost taken for granted more often then not. I think depth sure footed, great depth perception, quick reflexes, quick decision making and believe it or not....Fast. You can hide kids with a good glove here for a good long while. However after a while as the game evolves more with growing age the 1st base corner is a position with little recognition unless their but cheeks are touching the ground to pick a ball out of the dirt in time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1