The Auburn Hop

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Makes a lot of sense. I am not sure if it is the best move to attack a ball over the fielders head when you need to immediately drop step. I would have to fool with that a bit.

Really can't be worse for going backwards than creeping, right? And getting my 7th graders to creep nets a mixed bag of results...but I bet they will all like to hop! I've already thought of a progression to get them hopping on time, I'll try it Monday, see if we make any progress.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Really can't be worse for going backwards than creeping, right? And getting my 7th graders to creep nets a mixed bag of results...but I bet they will all like to hop! I've already thought of a progression to get them hopping on time, I'll try it Monday, see if we make any progress.

True. I was thinking the same thing.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Auburn VS. Georgia State on the SEC network right now if you want to see it live.
The HOP is nothing new. Southern and West coast Organizations have been using it for years to get their players dynamic athletically at contact.

butcher-boy

old school
Jul 10, 2013
ARIZONA
The Hop

Tony Rico has been teaching it through the Firecrackers organization for several years. They start with the 10U group in the very beginning of their infield drills. You do see it drop off somewhat at the 18U level. At that level it probably depends on the individual HC . After this exposure they (18U teams) may revisit it. This kind of information is what makes DFP such a valuable tool to all of the softball community.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
In tennis, it's called a split step. I played tennis for years before coaching softball, and I just instinctively ''split step'' when fielding grounders now. Just makes sense. Doesn't have to be conspicuous like Auburn. Nothing wrong w/ creeping reallly, except I think you need to ''split step'' (hop if you want to call it that) as the batter is making contact.

A cardinal rule in tennis is to split step when charging the net, just as the opponent is striking the ball. "Don't run through your volley,'' a coach will say. In softball, you see players running through bunts when sometimes I think it would be better to learn the split step.

6a00d83420958953ef01a3fd10d684970b-800wi

Sep 17, 2009
In tennis, it's called a split step. I played tennis for years before coaching softball, and I just instinctively ''split step'' when fielding grounders now. Just makes sense. Doesn't have to be conspicuous like Auburn. Nothing wrong w/ creeping reallly, except I think you need to ''split step'' (hop if you want to call it that) as the batter is making contact.

A cardinal rule in tennis is to split step when charging the net, just as the opponent is striking the ball. "Don't run through your volley,'' a coach will say. In softball, you see players running through bunts when sometimes I think it would be better to learn the split step.

This is good stuff here. My issue with the way it's applied in the Auburn clip is fielders give up the ability to read hitters hands (hit, bunt, slap), pitch location and bat angle, all things that top-flight infielders (and outfielders) use to get a "pre-jump" on the ball -- it is the instinctual part of the game that separates the good fielders from great ones. I would think you could SSC-activate your legs by creeping or bouncing without performing an in-place up-down-hop as the ball leaves the pitchers hands. I'd especially like my middle infielders to be reading and reacting whereas I could see a form of this working for a third basemen where react requirements are much quicker and generally one step left/right.

Sep 17, 2009
OK so I got a bit interested in this :)

If you watch Pedroia do it below, you'll see he *creeps* AND hops. I think what bugged me about Auburn is that their middle infielders are basically flat-footed and hop and THEN read/attack. Pedroia is creeping/reading and then the uses the hop to set direction to go to the ball.

IMO, Auburn's application of the concept is biomechanics science misapplied within the context of the goals/requirements of the larger game/activity.

giphy.gif

vs.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
OK so I got a bit interested in this :)

If you watch Pedroia do it below, you'll see he *creeps* AND hops. I think what bugged me about Auburn is that their middle infielders are basically flat-footed and hop and THEN read/attack. Pedroia is creeping/reading and then the uses the hop to set direction to go to the ball.

IMO, Auburn's application of the concept is biomechanics science misapplied within the context of the goals/requirements of the larger game/activity.

giphy.gif

vs.

giphy.gif

Great, great post. Answered all my questions. Spoke to DD's tourney ball team coach today. He saw the same videos and is on the same page as far as going to implement. As I was suggesting it to the HC, DD said ''oh yeah, I say that on face book last night". Seems I'm late to the party.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Pedroia's speed to the ball can be attributed to his taking advantage of some trainable physical movements: 1) move towards the hitter prior to pitch 2) begin your hop before bat strikes ball 3) time your hop to be at 'top of hop' at ball contact 4) read the direction before hitting the ground 5) Load your offside leg before landing 6) Explode that loaded leg just before landing, 6) Practice, practice, practice

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA