Texas A&M - ULL

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Also, I am with the swimcoach on this one. If you watch MLB game, they have a crew of people dragging small fences that drag the field between innings. Takes no time at all. Softball at NCAA level could have a crew that came out quickly and redid the box while teams were changing field during the bottom of the fourth or fifth or what ever. Could be done quickly and take very little time.

In college, the grounds crew is the players; both in baseball and softball. There is not a lot of extra money to be paying a crew to come out twice a game to drag the field, nor is there time. What you're asking is impractical.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
Nov 1, 2013
Anybody want to guess which group is really in control of the NCAA Softball rules?

And if they wanted it, it would happen.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

vol

Dec 10, 2015
Because it takes too much time.

Once you've done the BB's, what next - re-chalk the circle and foul lines? Maybe drag the infield for a 5th inning stretch?

And really, none of it matters. When the batter steps in front of the plate or on the plate, the call is simple. No lines needed.

They re drag the infield multiple times during UT games, at least twice, using 4-5 guys each pulling a thing-a-mi-jig (have no idea what it is called). If the game goes extras they do it again. Chalking wouldn't add much more time, maybe 60 seconds at most, these people are good at their jobs.

Do other schools do the same?

vol

Dec 10, 2015
In college, the grounds crew is the players; both in baseball and softball. There is not a lot of extra money to be paying a crew to come out twice a game to drag the field, nor is there time. What you're asking is impractical.

I think there is a difference between a small school and some of these "power 5" conferences. As I posted above, at UT they have a dedicated groundscrew and they drag the field at least twice during a 7 inning game. Takes them maybe 90 seconds.

edit - all I'm saying is that I agree with some of the comments before in that "that's way they've always done it" doesn't mean it can't change if that change is for the better.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1