Tewks Video Challenge

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
I almost hijacked the Helicopter thread....

When I say feel in my posts, it is from me swinging the bat. I took about 300 swings last night and usually take well over 100 swings a day. I'm not suggesting everybody can or should do this, but for parents reading, please, please, please stand up and swing. Post video of your swing. Open yourself up to the learning experience!!! Imagine how incredible this forum would be if more people took the risk of exposing themselves!!

I'll start. This is from me last night. I was trying something new with hip coil. Every swing in this round, I was focused primarily on coiling my rear hip with something I read about last night. The swings where I pause, like after the second swing, are usually hit pretty well... I'm trying to really digest what I felt. (Or enjoy it a little! :D)

Here's the link:
Tewks Hitting w/focus on hip coil

(When watching the video, you can click on the video window to pause the clip, then use the arrow keys to go frame by frame. This works with most web browsers, but not all - I use Firefox on a Mac.)

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Very interesting. Thank you Tewks.

Can you describe the feeling in your rear hip during the start of these swings? Looking for a description of the early “actions under the hood” in terms of pre-loading in your stance with respect to the coil action in your rear hip?

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Very interesting. Thank you Tewks.

Can you describe the feeling in your rear hip during the start of these swings? Looking for a description of the early “actions under the hood” in terms of pre-loading in your stance with respect to the coil action in your rear hip?

I was thinking, "Rotate the pelvis around a stationary femoral head." Yikes.

Just found this definition... I LOVE the big, bolded part

Femoral head:
rounded proximal articulating extremity of the femur; participates in the hip joint.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I was thinking, "Rotate the pelvis around a stationary femoral head." Yikes.

Just found this definition... I LOVE the big, bolded part

Femoral head:
rounded proximal articulating extremity of the femur; participates in the hip joint.

I believe you aren't joking.

My question is wrt the 'feeling' prior to swing initiation ... do you have a sense of "actions under the hood" in terms of what was going on during the portion of your swing below where the read arrow is drawn?

Tewks_823284163.gif

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Tewks ... this portion of your swing here ...

Tewks_823284163_.gif

I was thinking, "Rotate the pelvis around a stationary femoral head." I'm not sure I understand what you want to know. And I don't think this rep is very good for what my intent was... I keep looking at it. It was OK, could be better though.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I was thinking, "Rotate the pelvis around a stationary femoral head." I'm not sure I understand what you want to know. And I don't think this rep is very good for what my intent was... I keep looking at it. It was OK, could be better though.

I think I'm getting your point ... you are attempting to keep the femoral head stationary at this point ... as opposed to excessive counter rotation, etc..

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
I think I'm getting your point ... you are attempting to keep the femoral head stationary at this point ... as opposed to excessive counter rotation, etc..

Define "excessive counter rotation" and I'll let you know. :)

My intent is to keep my back knee, femur and femoral head as stationary as possible. Then rotate the pelvis around this stationary leg... The hip socket rotates around. You feel a stretch, winding type feeling. I guess you can consider the head of the femur a pivot point to this movement... but it doesn't rotate very far. Try it on one foot! I can film from the front later today if that helps.

Jun 27, 2008
I think I am going to take up this offer, I still play slowpitch from time to time and could use some work on my swing. Thanks for making this thread Tewks.