I made a highlight video DD class of 2025

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2017

Just starting highschool and wanted
To start sending videos to college coaches.
I used the last 6 months of games is that good parameter or is the video too long? Please add input on mechanics what she can work on. Thanks this sight definitely helped her development.

Jul 27, 2015
She looks to have good power and speed. Some notes (since you asked)
*You need to add contact information. How can a coach reach her? What team do you play on? GPA and at least state too.
*You could start the video 20 seconds in. There is no need at all to see the foul ball and throw back to the pitcher.
*Remember, the coach might receive a hundred emails a day. They don't have time to watch a long video unless something catches their eyes early. Start with your best stuff.
*While we can see she has power and speed, I can't tell much else mostly from being too far away or having the fence obstruct a lot of views. Do you also have a skill's video too?

Apr 25, 2019
A D1 coach once told me that a short and sweet video with 10 cuts and 10 throws is more than enough. Agree with Gator5 as well, cut out any foul balls or wasted space. Also, some of the videos from way behind the fence are a little tough to see. And yes, grad year, contact info, team name, etc will help as well.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I agree with everything said. Also limit the overall length to 5 minutes or less. Many coaches won't watch more than a minute and a half to two and a half minutes at most so Put the best stuff in that time frame including the contact info and other info in that time frame.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
In addition to contact info, also suggest identifying the player in each cut. Either a graphic pointing out the player, or a title explaining what the coach should be looking for. You don't want them guessing who they are looking at.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
If the purpose is to send to college coaches, I'm not sure the soundtrack is adding anything.
I agree. Coaches have said no music please. Too distracting and what if they don't like your taste in music? Too long. I would break it up into smaller chunks and post them on her Youtube page. Then send the link to the page so the coach can click on the different videos.

Jul 17, 2012
Cool video for sure, but you've got about 2-3 minutes of the coaches time, at best, and that's only if they like what they see in the first 20 seconds. Edit it down to the pitch and the hit and get rid of the ones with poor video quality. Maybe put one of her running the bases at the end. I'd also say some tee swings. Cant see much as far as her hitting mechanics. And yeah, lose the music. One of the best vids I've seen was a video with a few tee swings, a few BP swings, and a few game swings. Then just a handful of fielding plays. She also did a voice over intro of herself, customized to every coach she sent it to why she wanted to attend ______ University. And very important, include your club team coaches contact info as well.

May 20, 2017
Good stuff!!! I just threw this together found an app was playing with it trying to figure it out. Thanks for the input keep it going.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
To echo what others have said, the video is in need of editing. Aim for 2:00-2:30. There a lot that can be trimmed out of the footage you already have. Also, don't use video that isn't clearly showing the action. Trying to see what's happening on the other side of the backstop fencing is challenging, and isn't a good presentation of her skills. Get your camera on the fence and find a hole.

For hitting, I start the clip when the P starts to move. Any earlier than that is generally wasted time.

This is the latest video of my DD, which she sends along with her emails to coaches...

We choose to include contact info in the body of the email, rather than on the publicly-accessible video.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom