Telling the coach to take a hike...or burning bridges?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Didn't read your last paragraph. Apologies.

What's important, IMO, is that coaches ask this question to themselves.

Whether I get certain answers or agree with them doesn't matter here.

I'd like to meet a coach that checks with his or her players (or parents) in regards to who plays and who doesn't other than checking to see if someone is fit/healthy to play. Not sure one exists.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
That's good, but that's a survey of parents. What would the players say without parental/adult influence be? :)
Do the kids get to make the decision?

Dont know any players who like not playing ⚾🏁

radness

Dec 13, 2019
If it was proposed that everybody play at least half the time (1/2 the innings, 1/2 the at-bats of the average player), would they go along with that? Would they go along with 60% of the time)?

Given no adult influence whatsoever, how would this play out?
Think answer to your question is why there are more teams!
Its certainly why people leave teams. Low playing time.
This topic is part of all age and levels of ball.
Including college choice.

Individual preference, tolerance or have patience.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Why is that?

Why is that? Seriously? Do you really think that it is in the best interest of sports that the players (kids in this case) chose the lineup and decides who plays and how much? Heck no need for a coach now. Let them decide everything.

That is not a thing and it's not going to happen.

Have you met a teenage girl or boy? The level of drama that goes on during this time is epic. Add to that them trying to agree on who plays and how much? Hilarious!

radness

Dec 13, 2019
In the scenario I presented, players can vote to give themselves less playing time to accommodate others. The question wasn't ''Should you get to play more?''
If you asked them how to manage playing time, what would they say?
If it was proposed that everybody play at least half the time (1/2 the innings, 1/2 the at-bats of the average player), would they go along with that? Would they go along with 60% of the time)?

Given no adult influence whatsoever, how would this play out?
Your asking if players managed the team would they go along with 60% each playing time.

No. Not all would.

@Nimrod,
Why would there be a difference in a younger brain than an older brain?
Regarding who they think should play that is.

Little kids have impulses, competitive, selfishness, stupidity, arrogance, kindness, favoritism and know clue just like an adult can.:)
Ohhh...and Tantrums

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Why is that? Seriously? Do you really think that it is in the best interest of sports that the players (kids in this case) chose the lineup and decides who plays and how much? Heck no need for a coach now. Let them decide everything.

That is not a thing and it's not going to happen.

Have you met a teenage girl or boy? The level of drama that goes on during this time is epic. Add to that them trying to agree on who plays and how much? Hilarious!

No, I don't think it's in the best interest of sports that kids choose the lineups, etc.

I do think it's in the best interest of youth sports that coaches are aware of how their players feel and their motivations for playing. To do that, sometimes you have to ask them questions. So when I asked ''why not?'' I wasn't sure what you might say. Your answer makes sense. But for all I know, you might've said ''it doesn't matter what kids think, they don't know what's good for them.''

You said your DD's team as a whole agrees with the coach's philosophy on playing time. If that's the case, there's no issue with that team.

What if it were not the case?

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Seriously this is always discussed.
Many past threads to read.
Enjoy!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members