Telling the coach to take a hike...or burning bridges?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 6, 2013
Yes, serious.

To be clear, I'm not talking about school teams (high school, college). In those cases, you're hired to accomplish your employer's goals.

Travel team:

What if the goals of your players were different than your goals as a coach?
Then the player leaves for a team/coach that has the same goal.

Feb 20, 2020
Then the player leaves for a team/coach that has the same goal.

But coaches aren't always clear about that, and certainly not at the beginning of the year or when accepting players to a club. They need to be up front with parents and with players up front what their priorities are. But most aren't, because they don't see themselves as being winning-centric. They don't look at a scorebook for the year and realize that Natalee hasn't gotten in on Sunday at all. Or that when Jordan signed, she was told she'd have a chance at short but she's only been in right field all season, even though she takes most of her practice reps in the infield.

And on a Sunday morning, I can understand it. They want to win. Want to do all they can to win. But if you talk to them before the season -- when you're making your decision as to where to play -- the line will sound different. It will be about development and team building and such. You can only know a coach's philosophy by what they do on the field, and by then you're committed for the season.

Feb 20, 2020
Let's say you have 12 players.

If you asked them how to manage playing time, what would they say?

If it was proposed that everybody play at least half the time (1/2 the innings, 1/2 the at-bats of the average player), would they go along with that? Would they go along with 60% of the time)?

Given no adult influence whatsoever, how would this play out?

Back when I was a sportswriter at the University of Florida, the offensive coordinator decided to let the running backs decide their rotation for a game. The players were Willie McClendon, Dexter McNabb and some guy named Emmitt Smith.

They rotated out after each play. Eventually the OC stopped it and went back to giving Emmitt the ball 9 times out of 10.

My guess is that almost all the girls would be thrilled with that proposition, because they like to see each other play. They are much more tolerant of each other's failings than coaches (or parents) are. And even if they know a girl is less talented, they're more willing to give her a chance than a coach is.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Back when I was a sportswriter at the University of Florida, the offensive coordinator decided to let the running backs decide their rotation for a game. The players were Willie McClendon, Dexter McNabb and some guy named Emmitt Smith.

They rotated out after each play. Eventually the OC stopped it and went back to giving Emmitt the ball 9 times out of 10.

My guess is that almost all the girls would be thrilled with that proposition, because they like to see each other play. They are much more tolerant of each other's failings than coaches (or parents) are. And even if they know a girl is less talented, they're more willing to give her a chance than a coach is.

Good points, the players aren't good coaches.

The University of Florida is a college team, and the pre-Spurrier coach (maybe that's why he was fired) had a responsibility to the school and athletic department, not to mention boosters, etc. He was hired to win.

To whom is the travel ball coach responsible?

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Here is a post on the SoCal Fastpitch Facebook page. This is worded like most I have seen.

“If your daughter seeks to compete for the opportunity to be a starting pitcher (and also for ABs + as a positional player)...or is an athlete that needs the true opportunity to crack a lineup and find the field...against legit top-level competition working in elite facilities with an established program that is dedicated to the growth/development of its players.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
No. Actually I was told last night that we offered her. My daughter said she's happy to have the pitching relief, and the coach hasn't talked to me about it. So we'll see how it goes, but not the answer I was hoping for. Though hopefully it will help my daughter to not have to throw every inning like she did this year.

Silver linings... :)

Feb 20, 2020
Good points, the players aren't good coaches.

The University of Florida is a college team, and the pre-Spurrier coach (maybe that's why he was fired) had a responsibility to the school and athletic department, not to mention boosters, etc. He was hired to win.

To whom is the travel ball coach responsible?

To the girls. And then to the girls. And then to the girls.

Eventually the organization, the parents and the game itself. But mostly to the girls.

Jun 16, 2010
Coach gives girls development.
Great deal of this comes at practice.
Over and over and over and over.
I watched...... Hundreds of practices.

The amazing thing is all our teams practiced the same. From 10 year old to 18. Practices were 90% same. Same drills. Then batting. Many times 14,16 and 18 practice together if there wasn't a lot of girls available during winter or spring.

there was a very small amount of different stuff built on at each age but generally it was all exactly the same training.

Which is why are 14U team often beat 18u... And even a junior college team one time. Theres no secrets, just teach right mechanics at every position and repetition repetition repetition until everything happens automatically without thinking.

If girls were lacking and getting less playing time , it was due to lack of innate abilities..... It certainly wasn't lack of instruction or reps. One girl that's a great fielder that doesn't hit well, you can get by with batting someone else for her. When you got two....somebody may not play

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2014
USA
To the girls. And then to the girls. And then to the girls.

Eventually the organization, the parents and the game itself. But mostly to the girls.
While that would be nice and should be the case given the commitment (time, energy, money, etc.) that is required of the girls by the Coach(s) you will be very disappointed if you expect that same type of commitment and dedication from many of the coaches in your area. It is clearly NOT about the girls on the roster who are there working day in and day out but rather about stoking their own selfish, prima donna like egos....regardless of what they might say. Actions speak louder than words.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12