Telling a Player to Relax

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Saying Relax does seem like you might as well be asking them to play worse and under more panic...
I have found with the younger ages I have coached thus far that getting laughter works well. If I see them struggling I will find a moment in the craziness to pull them aside and ask if I have bad breath...or if a booger is hanging form my nose or some other off the wall thing and when they laugh at me for being a goof ball that is when I tell them to enjoy themselves and do their best. I usually see improvement from this as they loosen up.
I also ask the parents to do their best to avoid specific instructions while in the stands. The players want to make the coach happy and the parent happy and doing this is tough on the player b/c they worry about who to let down or listen to. The result I find is a lock down and worse play. I have an awesome group of parents who are by in large positive and supportive of all players. Some still get carried away but nothing we have not been able to handle so we can get back to working with the girls on the field.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
@snocatzdad
I agree. I like to do goofy things. I only have two kids out of ten who I can act frustrated or upset and light a fire. Most of them at age 9 feel they let you down and react by being upset.

@tghorley
I loved your story. :) It spoke volumes to team unity and bonding. I feel this is a critical element to the sport. Problem is so many times we see players hopping for whatever reasons and it limits the ability for this type of bond.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01