Team pitching coach or individual?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I have been asked to help coach a second year 12U travel team for next season. I'd like to hear people's thoughts or experiences on hiring one pitching instructor and having weekly small group sessions for the 2-3 team pitchers versus having each individual pitcher responsible for finding, paying for and scheduling their own pitching instruction.

I understand some may have an instructor they already use, the team approach may be more cost friendly but not as much individual attention. I see pros and cons of each so looking for feedback.

Thanks in advance!

Pitching instruction is only good if a kid practices at home 3-4 times a week for an hour a day. If they don't do that, then it is a waste of time.

For a kid wanting to be "good", Individual instruction is the only way to go. There is really no other way.

Group instruction is OK (and I emphasize "OK") for kids who want to "play around with pitching" and see if they like it.

Oct 4, 2018
Thank you, i know the one has been pitching for 3 years and had an instructor but unfortunately has moved of the area so she is "between" instructors, I haven't asked the other 2 pitchers yet but wanted to have a plan or idea of what i want to do before I talk to them

You nailed it.

You need to meet with them all and get their thoughts. They have to buy into your plan. Either approach will be fine, but it has to be the one that works for the individual families. That includes logistics (when and where), financial, type of pitching coach, etc.

When our first travel team started and the girls were 9, all four went together for group lessons. It was great, as they could have friendly competitions, have more bonding time together, and then in games help remind one another what coach taught them.

But in year two we needed to break into two groups of two, so instruction could be more specialized.

And then pretty quickly we needed our own. Eventually you'll get to each needing their own one on one time with the pitching instructor. You might already be there. But talk with the families and get a collective game plan.

For reference, my DD is just turning 12 and has had her own pitching instructor for almost 2 years. Group lessons are really just for getting the basics down.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00