Team pitching coach or individual?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 27, 2020
I have been asked to help coach a second year 12U travel team for next season. I'd like to hear people's thoughts or experiences on hiring one pitching instructor and having weekly small group sessions for the 2-3 team pitchers versus having each individual pitcher responsible for finding, paying for and scheduling their own pitching instruction.

I understand some may have an instructor they already use, the team approach may be more cost friendly but not as much individual attention. I see pros and cons of each so looking for feedback.

Thanks in advance!

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I have been asked to help coach a second year 12U travel team for next season. I'd like to hear people's thoughts or experiences on hiring one pitching instructor and having weekly small group sessions for the 2-3 team pitchers versus having each individual pitcher responsible for finding, paying for and scheduling their own pitching instruction.

I understand some may have an instructor they already use, the team approach may be more cost friendly but not as much individual attention. I see pros and cons of each so looking for feedback.

Thanks in advance!

My first question is.....How much experience do your pitchers have? If they're established pitchers (not new to the position) they may already have individual instructors. At which point I'd suggest not bringing in/paying a "team" instructor. It can cause mixed messages. For DD, she has a "personal" pitching instructor she sees. The lessons are one-on-one for an hour. They are very focused. They may only touch on one or two things for the entire hour. That can be hard to do in a group setting where you have multiple pitchers with different things that need to be worked on.

If they are all newer and don't have an individual instructor.....then you could look at a team pitching coach. As they all may need help from an overall fundamentals standpoint which can be addressed in a group setting. Not ideal, but still better than nothing.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree with @HunterMO . When we were at the 12u level, we used to bring in a pitcher from a local high school (18u player in our org) to help the girls with some basics. That was before they had their own instructors. At 18u we had 4 pitchers who all had their own (different) instructors. At that point we gave them time to work, and would try to understand their goals so that we could assess issues, but we didn't meddle. All 4 ended up pitching in college.

Aug 27, 2020
My first question is.....How much experience do your pitchers have? If they're established pitchers (not new to the position) they may already have individual instructors.

Thank you, i know the one has been pitching for 3 years and had an instructor but unfortunately has moved of the area so she is "between" instructors, I haven't asked the other 2 pitchers yet but wanted to have a plan or idea of what i want to do before I talk to them

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
Who's paying? Are you personally paying? Only the families of the 2-3 pitchers? Or is the money coming out of team money where all the families have either fundraised or paid dues to pay for an instructor for only 2-3 kids? Do you see an issue where other parents might be wondering why their kids can't get some type of instruction as well?

Not picking at this as I have no idea how your team is run, just some thought questions.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The one has had lessons should be at a very different learning curve place than the others. If i were them befor doing a group thing...i would want to speak with the instructor first.
Especially to see what they bring to the table first.

The two others no previous lessons,
Ask players/parents first if they have already considered lessons on their own?
That in-itself is a little clue of where they are at on this.
Good starting point.

Financial commitment to ongoing things is far different than
'Lets go to this one time camp.'

Generally this topic is really a question of
Are you wanting to put in more to get to the next level.

Aug 27, 2020
Who's paying? Are you personally paying? Only the families of the 2-3 pitchers? Or is the money coming out of team money where all the families have either fundraised or paid dues to pay for an instructor for only 2-3 kids? Do you see an issue where other parents might be wondering why their kids can't get some type of instruction as well?

Not picking at this as I have no idea how your team is run, just some thought questions.

My daughter has been on teams that have had a pitching instructor for the team paid out of the funds the team collects from fundraising and annual dues from all team members. She has also been part of a team it is purely on the individual. If i were to get a team instructor, it would be paid only by the parents of the pitchers. Otherwise every girl should get extra instruction

Apr 6, 2017
I don’t know about lessons but a Pitchinig practice with as group has worked well for us. Sometimes we have two age groups together and a coach that pitched in college sort of leads them through drills. Dd thinks it’s fun and I know she’s getting good reps. It helps
the catchers also.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I don’t know about lessons but a Pitchinig practice with as group has worked well for us. Sometimes we have two age groups together and a coach that pitched in college sort of leads them through drills. Dd thinks it’s fun and I know she’s getting good reps. It helps
the catchers also.

Yup - this can be good. Great way to keep girls interested and help mitigate frustration. As teammates can see each other maybe struggling with the same things. And also help see what’s working for others. All while supporting each other.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28