Teaching the high level pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
i actually appreciate W and TDS sharing their views and opinions. At one time, I believed what they did until I found something better. I say better because my students express that to me. if I find something better than HLP I’ll move. I’m loyal to my students.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Tell it to Arron Judge
Mike, this is where you and I disagree. Judge was already a major leaguer. Yes, he didn't have a breakout year when he first arrived. However, he did exceptionally well in the minors. I know what Schenck says and what Judge is reported to have said. I would love for someone to ask Judge whether the professional hitting coaches with the Yankees have had any part in his success. If he said no, then I would agree.

Mike, I openly admit that I and your friend are enemies. To me, that isn't why I disagree. I have coached a few players who have made it to MLB. In fact, over the winters, they had me throw to them, and naturally, I would give my ideas. Mike, I had only a minor role in their success. There were too many other coaches both in college and in the pros that worked with these players. I'll get back out of this thread now. I apologize for being me.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Mike, this is where you and I disagree. Judge was already a major leaguer. Yes, he didn't have a breakout year when he first arrived. However, he did exceptionally well in the minors. I know what Schenck says and what Judge is reported to have said. I would love for someone to ask Judge whether the professional hitting coaches with the Yankees have had any part in his success. If he said no, then I would agree.

Mike, I openly admit that I and your friend are enemies. To me, that isn't why I disagree. I have coached a few players who have made it to MLB. In fact, over the winters, they had me throw to them, and naturally, I would give my ideas. Mike, I had only a minor role in their success. There were too many other coaches both in college and in the pros that worked with these players. I'll get back out of this thread now. I apologize for being me.
Your always welcome to jump in and please be you. Well said and I’m sure many feel as you do about him. He’s a grown man and it’s not my place to defend his behavior or actions. A.J definitely has several coaches over the years.

Ive seen my students improve using this method of hitting and wanted to share with others that are interested In thisI. I stay in my lane and don’t post when W or TDS share their way of hitting because it’s a different swing, so why add to the confusion. I truly welcome and enjoy their comments because it points out several things. The biggest one is they don’t know HLP beyond the superficial level that most people do. Additionally, I think they are doing the same as I am, trying to help teach a very complicated thing like hitting.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Weight does go forward but it's different than laterally shifting.

Mike using the middle correctly can get you forward without compromising the rear leg/hip relationship. Hopefully someday you will see rich's infatuation with the coil removes natural athleticism (including both legs) out of kids. Rich's go move (swing is the shift) where the lead leg catches the swing is a pattern but not what the best do. None of the best focus on ttb either. They focus on swinging "down to"

This young girl is now swinging "down to" from a leveraged fyb position using the middle. Hopefully it doesn't get coached out of her.

aDgA1Fi.gif

NwcpAXa.gif

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Your always welcome to jump in and please be you. Well said and I’m sure many feel as you do about him. He’s a grown man and it’s not my place to defend his behavior or actions. A.J definitely has several coaches over the years.

Ive seen my students improve using this method of hitting and wanted to share with others that are interested In thisI. I stay in my lane and don’t post when W or TDS share their way of hitting because it’s a different swing, so why add to the confusion. I truly welcome and enjoy their comments because it points out several things. The biggest one is they don’t know HLP beyond the superficial level that most people do. Additionally, I think they are doing the same as I am, trying to help teach a very complicated thing like hitting.
I think that the best thing any of us who coach can do is to post thoughts and then read the responses. In that way, we can help out hitters. No one is the "expert" when it comes to this because none of us are alike nor do we interpret the information the same. Due to your effort, this thread has been one of the most successful threads on this site. Thanks a bunch!

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I thought we had this shift discussion 10 years ago??? Oh yeah, we did...

The problem has always been that pressure changes are not being described w the one legged model. If that was explored or understood I don’t think there would be so much grey area.

When the pelvis advances the pressure changes. Just bc other segments aren’t stacked means nothing. We are talking about lower half weight distribution.

Edit: if the discussion could turn to something akin to.. there is significant pressure dispersion from stride to foot down where the force created is now much more spread out and the front foot isn’t something to roll into, but to transfer said force via rotation. I think that would suffice.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
The problem has always been that pressure changes are not being described w the one legged model. If that was explored or understood I don’t think there would be so much grey area.

When the pelvis advances the pressure changes. Just bc other segments aren’t stacked means nothing. We are talking about lower half weight distribution.

Edit: if the discussion could turn to something akin to.. there is significant pressure dispersion from stride to foot down where the force created is now much more spread out and the front foot isn’t something to roll into, but to transfer said force via rotation. I think that would suffice.
In the beginning, I struggled with this as well as almost ever other component of the HLP. My hope with this thread was to clear up some of this for others, not that I’m an expert but started down the road before the newbies. W sorry i failed you and probably others. Great inside, thanks.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
None of the best focus on ttb either.

This is objectively, demonstrably false. Some of the best say they swing "down to" (and then every single video of their game swings proves otherwise), but other great hitters do talk about turning the barrel. People have discussed one of them in this thread. On this same page in this thread.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG