Teaching the high level pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
it’s described as two gears acting upon each other. The opposing direction of how one loads the different body parts is as important to the loading process and the achievement of the swing. Technically the body doesn’t unload but directs the energy created into the bat at launch. I think of it very similar to underhand fast pitch.

I like Torque.. What would be the 2 gears?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Mike, now I'm confused. Where does the unload then come in? When you discuss the stop swings or check swings in a real at-bat, what you are stopping is the unload.
I'm saying that I am confused. LOL In what I coach, there is a load and an unload. They are parts of a sequence. I am asking Mike to explain to a simpleton like me how the check swing is a part of the load.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Sorry I kind of mushed it in with post 430. Give me another chance.

Here is the setup sequence I teach, even Richard might not agree with it so I understand if it sound foreign to how others do it.

1. step in the box with the rear foot firmly planted but not yet coiled, at the same time hold the bat vertically in front of you.
2. load the hands by torquing the handle, not a death grip but with a firm directional perpendicular snap as the intention.
3. As the hands load , the back muscles are flexing but not yet directionally loading.
4. load the back muscles by pulling the bat and hands in to position by the shoulder. Like an archer pulling back on a bow string.
5. load the back muscles so that they are pulled down the back. This sets the bat horizontally. This feels like a basketball player loading the upper body to take a 3 point shot.
6. Coil the rear leg . You can feel it in you butt and low back tightening. This is the spiral loading of the rear leg and back.
7. continue to hold and tighten the coil as you set your posture and hinge the body.
8. we circle load the shoulders and this tightens the low back and rear hip.

Set you posture in the box to hit
All this is loading the body in opposite direction from each other creating a chain reaction. The load is the swing. The hands snap the barrel rearward over and behind the hip. Th leg snaps forward causing everything to burst in its directionally loaded way. The snap rearward of the bat in to a lateral tilt against the leg snapping forward creates a whipping of the barrel on and around it’s rearward launch.

The only difference between a take or a swing is the hands turning the barrel. You can do everything and not TTB . That would be a take.

Loading this way puts as much of the swing on autopilot. The sequence and directionally loading is what allows the hitters to use the unconscious mind to take over the timing and barrel path In the swing. Hitting is not about thinking.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand