Teaching beginners how to properly throw.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My dd's middle school had a staff vs eighth grade dodgeball game. Some of those teachers had no idea what was coming.

Playing catch with my DD last night, something became very clear...I can not throw significantly better than a 10yo girl (distance or accuracy). Dodgeball with her at 13yo? Good luck with that. I recommend protective gear for the sensitive areas.

Sep 17, 2009
Play dodge ball. The athletic kids will teach themselves how to throw, the ones who run and hide are your bench warmers.

-W
Or throw a football (get a smaller one, or a nerf, for typical smaller hands on a female). A good friend of mine was amazed to see my daughter outthrow his son with a football by a good margin. I just smiled.

Apr 1, 2010
LMAO!

On a related note, the boys at my DD's school fear the softball players during dodgeball. I was told by the PE teacher that my DD hasn't made a boy cry...but it's been close a couple of times.

Yep. DD knocked a boy to the floor with a headshot once--said he was being cruel to weaker kids. Fear the softball players!

Sarahdodgeball3.jpg

Jun 25, 2014
Thanks. Just wanted to make sure what I was teaching will work or is there a better way. At 8u there's a wide range of skill level. My DD can throw well and then some others look like they never picked up a softbal

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
Might seem strange but worked.....

Taught DD to throw with this squishy spikey ball. We made it a game that we played in the house.
Had her turn side ways, with ball in hand behind her head. Step, turn and throw..... first one to drop the ball loses. We had so much fun, she didn't realize she was learning. From there we moved to things like the water bottle drill and other Wasserman drills.

spikey 1.jpg spike2.jpg

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Sounds like fun.

Most important thing is to link > throwing, hitting & pitching all together.
I wouldn't start to heavy teaching throwing until you have givin them their confidence in catching the ball.

throwing#1

After watching this, I decided that I needed to get on a level playin ground w/her. I told her I would learn to throw underhanded as she was learning to throw overhanded. I never threw overhand to her again. Love her taking me to task w/ the Calls :cool: I was afraid I was lookin like the guy in the VW Commericial

throwing#2

Yep....totaled that camera & 3 more in this phase...*8U

JMHO :cool:

Years later...keeping my promise

PC

Awesome buddy...thanks for sharing

SL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member