TCB ball breaks!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Well it didn't actually break- I didn't know if id ever see it but it is in the process of dying. I just noticed it today but DD said it started a few weeks ago when AC was throwing front toss. a little (1/8" - 3/16") rip/cut in the ball so it looks fine but when it is hit there is a little puf of smoke from the fine sand exiting the vehicle :D

I don't remember how long I've been using these -some of mine I got from Amy when she bought too many.
I just ordered and received 6 new ones so it doesn't matter, I just wanted to let you know that it has been years and used from U12 thru U18 - you get good mileage out of these things.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
No- I already had some and yours were new - Caveat Emtor :D !

I just threw in that detail in case you remembered how long ago you had too many TCBs

Dec 29, 2011
Mayville, WI
I actually had 3 of them fail at the end of last summer. They developed small cracks around the holes they use to fill them.

I just ordered 6 new ones. I have been very happy with these. I think the 3 that just failed were 3 years old and used A LOT!!!!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
No. I don't know how old they are. Mine have changed to a really ugly yellow pukish color. I need to keep them out of the Tucson sun. I, too, bought some new ones.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
We lost three this year that were appx. 2 years old with thousands of hits on them from 12u's. Can't complain about that. Bought two dozen hole balls this winter. Still going strong.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We have had one or two casualties over the past 4 years....probably need to order a few new ones to replace them.

Jul 26, 2010
They get brittle when it's cold. I remember the first time my daughter shattered one during warmups on a rare 25 degree morning in Jan a few years back. Better the ball then the bat though. I felt bad for the coach that was showered in sand.

-W

Apr 1, 2010
a little (1/8" - 3/16") rip/cut in the ball so it looks fine but when it is hit there is a little puf of smoke from the fine sand exiting the vehicle :D

Same thing happened to one of mine a year or so ago. One of the coaches was warming up the team with my tcbs and as one of the girls hit, a slit opened up and there was the puff of the fine sand. I still have that one sitting around somewhere. I was thinking that I might try slapping a piece of duct tape over the slit. The dozen and a half that I had took a lot of use before that one break. I'm still a tcb fan!

Feb 7, 2013
My set of 12 is almost 4 years old and only one has broken. It hit the sharp edge of a chain-linked fence and popped a small hole in it and the sand/silicon poured out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321