TB vs. High School

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
My state does not have a rule such as this. Also is the school coach going to TB practices to see who shows up? TB takes priority in my house so if this became a state rule and it was enforced which I would think is pretty impossible to do, my DD wouldn't play school ball.

As [MENTION=567]CoachKevin[/MENTION] posted TB does not take priority because travel ball is just non existent during HS season, in other words all the TB girls play HS ball because during the HS season there is no TB to be played. This is what I'm pretty sure happens in the majority of the country

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
I think its area specific. Another thing that is very area specific is quality of high school softball - why stop playing travel ball to play on a team worse than 12u rec? But if you are going to play for a quality program against good competition I could imagine stepping away from your travel ball team.

Here travel ball, especially week night practices, generally slows down during high school but doesn't go completely dark, though some teams do. 14u is the hardest age because that is the age where you are getting a split between high school players and middle schoolers. Here 14u is pretty robust all through the high school season.

Figure out what the standard is for your area and thats pretty much the standard you are going to have to live by. No need arguing with people who live in places with totally different ways of handling the high school issue.

Aug 30, 2015
LOL, I take it the team is 1st year 14's... almost every parent says the same thing when the kids start playing HS...
Actually 2nd year...most girls are already 15yo now...thus JV and HS Ball
Wait until 16 or 18, typically the TB team will go dark until the HS season is over. So if your DD quits the HS team just to play TB, and the TB team doesn't play or practice during the HS season, where will you be?
Of course...it'll be completely different at 16u. We fully plan on a completely different schedule and approach. We'll go dark for HS season. The 16u tourney season gets into full swing after that.

Aug 30, 2015
As [MENTION=567]CoachKevin[/MENTION] posted TB does not take priority because travel ball is just non existent during HS season, in other words all the TB girls play HS ball because during the HS season there is no TB to be played. This is what I'm pretty sure happens in the majority of the country
14u ball is in full swing here. There very few 16 or 18u tourneys to be found until HS season is over.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2015
My state does not have a rule such as this. Also is the school coach going to TB practices to see who shows up? TB takes priority in my house so if this became a state rule and it was enforced which I would think is pretty impossible to do, my DD wouldn't play school ball.
Our TB team takes a back seat to HS...IOW we have no practices during the week and always accommodate HS schedule first (allow a girl to miss a very rare weekend practice to attend an extracurricular HS team function like a team dinner for example).

We're really just down to weekend tourneys so when this particular coach will not allow our player to play with us, it's just a slap in the face.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
That the coach feels he can dictate what a girl can do in her off time. Can he also restrict her from playing soccer? Band activities?

It's a valid request, IMO. The coach might believe, through his experience, that TB participation hurts his team, either due to burnout, injury, fatigue, etc. He might want 14 players who are entirely dedicated to high school softball. Coach has a right to do what he believes is in the best interest of his team. Is it a good strategy on the part of this coach? I don't know. But I believe it is within the rights of a coach to make that call.

Feb 7, 2013
If you cannot handle playing both TB and HS ball at the same time, you are probably doomed if considering playing in college. There is more than enough time for both. Just comes down to your priorities. Most states have these rules under the guise of safety, preventing over use injuries, blah, blah, blah. It is really about keeping the sport relevant so the state association can make money.

Maybe its different in your region but many players and families in CA are very happy about the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) putting restriction on travel ball/club sports during high school season. Basically travel softball in SoCal goes "dark" from March 1 to mid-May (longer if HS team makes playoffs) with TB teams only allowed once or twice a month practices (no competitions). It's a nice break from kids playing travel softball from September through July every year. Many kids love playing for their school and its a different, less stressful environment for a few months. In addition, the HS games are played mostly during the weekdays, so families have a few "free" weekends before jumping back into travel ball's national qualifier tournaments in late spring.

Aug 30, 2015
Maybe its different in your region but many players and families in CA are very happy about the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) putting restriction on travel ball/club sports during high school season. Basically travel softball in SoCal goes "dark" from March 1 to mid-May (longer if HS team makes playoffs) with TB teams only allowed once or twice a month practices (no competitions). It's a nice break from kids playing travel softball from September through July every year. Many kids love playing for their school and its a different, less stressful environment for a few months. In addition, the HS games are played mostly during the weekdays, so families have a few "free" weekends before jumping back into travel ball's national qualifier tournaments in late spring.
I agree and support these rules because softball is truly a year-round sport in CA.. Here in the NW, we only get to play 6 mos and HS can be 3 mos of that time (if they play all the way thru playoffs.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi