TB skill levels

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Rec ball leagues need to have a policy in place regarding the eligibility of players, it is NOT the responsibility of ASA. That said, there are several TB tournament directors in GA who do a good job of preventing teams from 'sandbagging'. They protect their C-level teams and will not allow B-level teams to play down. Fastpitch is very popular in GA, so there are usually enough teams to make a tournament.

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
Let me put it this way. The team that just won the USSSA World Series in B, had already won a tournament in A, has also won a 14U tournament and the Gold division of a large tournament back in March. Their record in B this year is 18-2. All that and I can pretty much bet they will be allowed to play B again next year.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Let me put it this way. The team that just won the USSSA World Series in B, had already won a tournament in A, has also won a 14U tournament and the Gold division of a large tournament back in March. Their record in B this year is 18-2. All that and I can pretty much bet they will be allowed to play B again next year.

I've seen lots of A teams play down in B trying to win a world series. ( trophy hunters ) If you are an honest B team, what you have to do is look at the list of teams registered and do a little homework on some teams you might know from other tournaments or events around the country. If a record or top tournament wins stick out you have to contact THE STATE REP for the organization and submit a re-classification form. Some will take it over the phone. ( it works pretty quick in baseball, not sure how fast softball takes ) Like I said before, playing class in BB is usually monitored more, go figure.

USFA is set up the same way for all you who go to the world series in Florida.

WEST TENNESSEE / MISSISSIPPI USSSA BASEBALL CLASSIFICATION GUIDELINES

The State office is tasked with the classification of teams as outlined in rule 2.06 of the USSSA Rules and Bylaws:

"Each State Director will adopt an acceptable method to classify teams within their respective state. State Directors have sole authority to classify teams within their respective state and the authority to classify and / or re-classify any team within their respective state during the current season, except when a team classification has been assigned by the USSSA Baseball National Committee."

The Classifying of teams will always be the hardest part of our program. In order to attempt to place teams where they will be competitive, The ultimate classification is determined by the overall strength of the team. Some of the major factors determining classification include "In class record", "Power Ratings", "Average run differential", etc. West Tennessee / Mississippi USSSA has decided to utilize a classification committee for the purpose of classifying teams..

ISSUES WITH EITHER YOUR TEAMS' OR ANOTHER TEAMS' CLASSIFICATION: *All request for reclassification must be made by filling out a RE-CLASS REQUEST form. Upon submission, the request is forwarded to the classification committee, as a whole, for review. Your area representative will then notify the team manager of record of a decision,

Managers' input is welcome, whether regarding their team or another, as the goal is to make the program the best it can be and that is achieved with your help. All input is kept confidential.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
Here in Idaho there are only 2 levels , Rec ball and ASA and if you want to put together an All Star rec ball team and come play in an ASA tournament there is no different classification for you to play in . A few years ago there was a push to combine all the leagues in our area under one umbrella (ASA , Babe Ruth , Cal Ripken or whatever) but nobody wanted to hand the reins of their league over to another one . That would have probably been the only way we could have had different classifications .

Even in ASA there is a huge disparity in skill levels depending on the age groups .

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

What was their record when they played A ball? There are a lot of teams that are high B/low A - they usually win playing in B tournaments, but do not fair well in ASA qualifiers (true A tournaments). They are caught in a softball 'catch 22'.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face

USFA on classification towards the world series.

NOTE: Teams that have received a berth to a “A” classification National event in USFA or another organization must play in the USFA “A” World Series. Furthermore, any team that has been classified as an “A” team or participates in an “A” State Tournament hosted by USFA or another organization may be required to play in the USFA “A” World Series.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
What was their record when they played A ball? There are a lot of teams that are high B/low A - they usually win playing in B tournaments, but do not fair well in ASA qualifiers (true A tournaments). They are caught in a softball 'catch 22'.

Very true. I've seen many a BB coach cry when they "win too many" and get pushed up from AAA to Majors in TB. If you don't have the players to classify YOURSELF as Majors, you sure don't want to org to move you up. Huge difference.

Oct 5, 2011
Sterling IL
I've seen lots of A teams play down in B trying to win a world series. ( trophy hunters ) If you are an honest B team, what you have to do is look at the list of teams registered and do a little homework on some teams you might know from other tournaments or events around the country. If a record or top tournament wins stick out you have to contact THE STATE REP for the organization and submit a re-classification form. Some will take it over the phone. ( it works pretty quick in baseball, not sure how fast softball takes ) Like I said before, playing class in BB is usually monitored more, go figure.

USFA is set up the same way for all you who go to the world series in Florida.

WEST TENNESSEE / MISSISSIPPI USSSA BASEBALL CLASSIFICATION GUIDELINES

The State office is tasked with the classification of teams as outlined in rule 2.06 of the USSSA Rules and Bylaws:

"Each State Director will adopt an acceptable method to classify teams within their respective state. State Directors have sole authority to classify teams within their respective state and the authority to classify and / or re-classify any team within their respective state during the current season, except when a team classification has been assigned by the USSSA Baseball National Committee."

The Classifying of teams will always be the hardest part of our program. In order to attempt to place teams where they will be competitive, The ultimate classification is determined by the overall strength of the team. Some of the major factors determining classification include "In class record", "Power Ratings", "Average run differential", etc. West Tennessee / Mississippi USSSA has decided to utilize a classification committee for the purpose of classifying teams..

ISSUES WITH EITHER YOUR TEAMS' OR ANOTHER TEAMS' CLASSIFICATION: *All request for reclassification must be made by filling out a RE-CLASS REQUEST form. Upon submission, the request is forwarded to the classification committee, as a whole, for review. Your area representative will then notify the team manager of record of a decision,

Managers' input is welcome, whether regarding their team or another, as the goal is to make the program the best it can be and that is achieved with your help. All input is kept confidential.

B World Series? isnt that an oxy moron? B ball is supposed to be a developmental program isnt it? Why in the hell is there a Developmental World Series? This isnt a dig toward any B players at all i just think it yuor going to spend the money to go away for a week and your that committed to the game them go A. Every organization out there should get rid of B Championship play (State Regionals, World Series, Nationals) if there are trophies to win some people will attempt to win them.

Jan 24, 2011
B World Series? isnt that an oxy moron? B ball is supposed to be a developmental program isnt it? Why in the hell is there a Developmental World Series? This isnt a dig toward any B players at all i just think it yuor going to spend the money to go away for a week and your that committed to the game them go A. Every organization out there should get rid of B Championship play (State Regionals, World Series, Nationals) if there are trophies to win some people will attempt to win them.

Not necessarily. If you play USSSA , there is an A ,B,C, class. In all reality , most teams truly fit into the B category. C class would be the developmental program. There is nothing wrong with playing a national tournament against competition within your own skill level. Softball doesnt not begin and end at the "A" level

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad