TB players skipping tryouts.. AM I out of line in my thinking.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My niece was a catcher for 3 years on the same team. One day, they called her and told her they had picked up a #1 catcher. Adios.
Did we like it? No.

So, hold on. There may be cuts coming to the team, also.

Dec 16, 2012
I fully understand that this is TB. It is win at all cost. That is what i like about it. I wouldn't think these parents would have a leg to stand on if these two players were "new" players that just moved here or whatever. But the one girl in particular was called quite a few times last fall to remind her "( talk her into) trying out for this years team and she decided she didn't want to exert the energy to try out. So, she waited till 2 weeks before the first tourney to decide to play. coincidentally, this allowed her to not have to deal with the dullness of winter gym practices, tryouts and the general grind all the other girls on the team endured.

Oct 18, 2009
While I don't think your displeasure is wrong, I don't know what good it will do to express displeasure at this point.

I would learn from it. TB can be a cut throat environment and it isn't for everyone. Teams and coaches have different philosophies. Sometimes its not easy to tell what they are at first.

Some TB orgs will replace your DD with a better player in a heartbeat. I really think that is ok if they are up front with that and everyone knows that can happen. They might not come out and say it but if you look at the track record and that is what happens, then you know that is what they do. Other TB teams will stay loyal to their current players. Your DD likely has a lot of TB in front of her. Use this experience to understand the nature of TB and know that in the end... do what's best for your DD and your family.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
This is 12U, which is developmental. The win at all costs attitude is a bit early at this stage of the game. Power in numbers. Have all the disgruntled parents go to the coach together. He sounds like he's a real peach to have as a coach. My take is that he picked him, he plays them. 13 is at the high end of what I would take at 12U. 15...there is no way.

Oct 18, 2009
This is 12U, which is developmental. The win at all costs attitude is a bit early at this stage of the game. Power in numbers. Have all the disgruntled parents go to the coach together. He sounds like he's a real peach to have as a coach. My take is that he picked him, he plays them. 13 is at the high end of what I would take at 12U. 15...there is no way.

Not saying its right but what would the group of angry parents have the coach do? Cut the new players?

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
I would expect, at minimum, that with 2 added players, the cost per player for tournament entry fees would drop. Time for coach to give every parent a refund. If not, then I'd ask to look at the books. If he can't account for the added money coming in, buh-bye.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We can all learn a valuable lesson from Morris Buttermaker in "The Bad News Bears".....when Amanda Whurlizer and Kelly Leak want to join your team, you let them!

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
There's two sides to every story...in this case, three: Yours (and other parents), the "slacker" players (and their parents) and the coaches. Can't assume that they just showed up and coaches let them 'just because'. I'm sure that there was communication/justification/whatever between those players and the coaches.

My advice would be to try not to create dissension among the ranks, and just worry about you and your own. Worry about what you can control...nothing more.

Not being rude...it really is my advice from my own experience. Starting now, just work within your own means (which is your dd)...let everything else slide like water down your back. :) Just be proud of your dd who put in the effort and continue to support her through and through. Now is the time to stop watching other players...sit back and let the coaches do their thing. :)

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
From your OP I took it as 1 player decided to not play during the fall and then decided to again play in the spring. That's ok for a child to do and I bet she chose it to play other sports.

The MS girl had no idea in the fall she wanted to play for your team so she didn't attend tryouts.

To be blunt the way I heard it was your DD is a pitcher and worked hard all offseason and now there's 3 pitchers meaning less circle time. All my DD were pitchers so I get that but after the first one I realized its not right to feel that negativity towards a child.

Sounds to me your DD has and is earning a starting spot. Let her continue to have the mentality of competitiveness and earning her spot.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
My question is then, why did he bother with tryouts? Why not just handpick the players and save a bunch of time, money and headache?

He probably wouldn't have had tryouts if he already had handpicked players that would commit. Tryouts were probably to fill the roster spots open, see bubble girls head to head, and hope a stud shows up out of the woodwork.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors