TB players skipping tryouts.. AM I out of line in my thinking.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 16, 2012
So this is DD third yr. in TB. and first yr. at the U12 level. Our TB organization has U10, U12, U14 etc. teams. There was a very competitive and stressful tryout process last fall to make this U12 team. It wasn't a guarantee if you played U10 TB for this organization that you would make the U12. So, all the girls that tried out busted their tail. There were a few U10's that didn't make the U12 team.

So, indoor winter practice was held once week all winter. Again, the girls that made the team busted their tail in the gym and the two pitchers also hit the gym on two/tree additional days a week. ( one being my DD )

Fast forward to this week and we finally get outside to practice and all of the sudden there are TWO girls on the team that did NOT try out or bust their tail in the gym all winter. One did play last year on this same U12 team but decided not to try out this past fall. She pitches and plays IF. The second is a middle school player with no TB experience. Obviously, they are both very good players.

My question is this. Would I be out of line to express my displeasure with this move? These girls didn't try out or hit the gym but they are gonna take two spots from the girls who did bust their tails and end up riding the bench?

Any thoughts/ Advice?

If I picked up two players that are good and you expressed displeasure at me for doing so, I'd simply say that you know where the door is and use it now if you think you want to bring the subject up again. If not, stick around and leave me alone.

This is TB, not Little League. Personnel decisions are that of the coach (and to a lesser extent, the organization), period. If he thinks the team is better with these new girls, I commend him for getting them on the team.

PS: I am not a jerk or an a-hole or anything even remotely resembling them. In fact, I am thought of as one of the nicer coaches in the area and other teams enjoy playing us and we often get compliments on our demeanor and well-mannered players and coaches. I am also known for being 100% honest at all times and if you ask me something, you better be prepared to receive an answer you may or may not like. Personnel decisions are none of the parents' business as far as I am concerned and I have very little (if any) tolerance for questions of that sort. BTW, I currently coach 12U, as well, although I have coached at every level up to 16U A. The same thing would hold true for me even if it was at 10U.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2012
Thanks for your candor,
My question is then, why did he bother with tryouts? Why not just handpick the players and save a bunch of time, money and headache?.

Also, Doesn't this set a presidence? By that I mean, My daughter is a VERY, VERY good player ( atleast on this TB team. ) she is probably one of the top three this year and will certainly be the best U12 pitcher and player in the area next year. Why should she bother to try out again this fall, and why should she bust her tail all next winter in the gym when she could just show up in April?

Mar 31, 2014
In certain areas middle school players can't play, practice or try out during their respective seasons. This may account for one of the girls.

She should bust her tail because one day, it will get her farther in life at everything she does.

It will also get her a reputation for being a hard worker, which certainly will help her with making future softball teams she may desire to play for ... especially college teams.

We can't always hand pick our players. For whatever reasons, not all of the talent pool that's available is available at the same time. Conversely, things change and players move after fall ball and sometimes even after the first few spring tourneys. Things are not settled and astute coaches keep their ears to the ground and are in recruiting mode 365 days a year, knowing where the movement is likely to occur and who the players involved are and what they can bring to their team. You also have to stay on the lookout for previously "undiscovered" talent and recruit it if it will help your girls get better.

Another reality is that one sinking ship can often be the savior of one, two, even three teams in an area. You have to be ready at all times to jump into the water and rescue a select few when it happens.

I personally think it is cool your coach did this (although I do not agree with carrying 15 players). He is cultivating relationships, always looking to get better (practice isn't the only way, you know). And your DD will benefit from it.

Last edited:

coachjwb

Love this game!
Apr 16, 2014
Northeast Ohio
Absolutely ... she should bust her tail to become the best player she can be. If she does this, it shouldn't bother her or you if other players are brought in to strengthen the team ... that's a good thing! I do understand your concern, and there will likely be some parents who will be upset (it usually doesn't bother the kids), but my advice is to rise above that and see the good in it.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
How many players are now on the team? Was there any communication by the coach about the possibility of adding players at this point?

If the coach made it known that he/she was looking to add, or that he/she wanted the roster to be a certain size, and now he's meeting the expectations that he/she expressed from the start, then it's great. If roster spots are available, fill them with best players you can find.

However, if this is coming as a surprise to the current members of the team and to parents, and these new players are bumping players who've busted their butts for several months, then it's a selfish coach who does not see things from the perspective of kids and is not serving them.

Dec 16, 2012
I help coach the U10 TB team and Middle school ball. Consequently, My wife is pretty much the Middle School and TB team Mom. She is also the treasurer for both teams. So, when the other parents noticed these girls out there they came to my wife, who was sitting watching practice like the rest of the parents. She didn't know what to tell them. One of these players did play last year but just decided to fore go tryouts and show up in the spring and the other plays middle school ball with us. So, both girls were well aware of TB tryouts and when they would be held.

I am not worried that my DD will get bumped by these new comers. . But the other parents are not happy and I can see their point. Registration fees, travel fees, hotels, gas money. That adds up quickly. After tryouts there was an assumption that the team was set and the girls that made the team would be the one's playing. SO there is quite the investment ALREADY made by parents. So they see this as kinda breaking the agreement made right after tryouts..

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I am not worried that my DD will get bumped by these new comers (one who did play last year just decided to fore go tryouts) and the other plays middle school ball with us. But the other parents are not happy and I can see their point.

How many players are on the team? What did coach communicate when he/she accepted players on the team originally?

Dec 16, 2012
How many players are now on the team? Was there any communication by the coach about the possibility of adding players at this point?

If the coach made it known that he/she was looking to add, or that he/she wanted the roster to be a certain size, and now he's meeting the expectations that he/she expressed from the start, then it's great. If roster spots are available, fill them with best players you can find.

However, if this is coming as a surprise to the current members of the team and to parents, and these new players are bumping players who've busted their butts for several months, then it's a selfish coach who does not see things from the perspective of kids and is not serving them.

13 well 15 now I guess .Apparently the coach "Saved a roster spot" for the girl who played last yr. in case she decided to play. But, he didn't mention this to the parents and he said nothing about the middle school girl at all. I Just wonder if my DD will get a "Roster spot held for her" next yr. since she will most likely be the best player on the team??? hmm??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors