TB as a farm system for HS Ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
I could understand the high school coach wanting to start and coach a younger team (maybe 12u) made up of girls in the area. It would allow them to ensure that girls are playing and receiving quality instruction at a young age and allow the coaches to see what they have coming up. With that said, the coach shouldn't hold anything against players who choose to compete on a higher level team.

You are making an assumption the HS coach knows what they are doing. Not always the case.

Nov 29, 2009
I live in a major metro area. I've heard that players are preferentially treated based on their Travel Org, with playing for the local Travel Org helping playing time in HS. I have no firsthand experience, tho. Luckily, DD plays for one of the three main schools in the area but the coach (former D1 and Pro player) wants to compete and puts the best kids she can find on the field.

It happens every year around me. There is a HS coach who coached in one of the top TB programs in the country for a while. It's a private school so there are no boundry restrictions. She gets some of the best softball talent around on the HS team, which includes current players from the same TB organization. Every year you hear the same complaints about how these kids are only playing because of who they play TB for. The complaints always seem to come from the parents of the kids who play in average TB programs in the summer. This is in a major metropolitan area with lots of playing options for girls of all skill levels.

May 29, 2015
Is this fact or just something someone said while they were in the stands? or just a rumor based on a kid's parent that didn't get any playing time? Or is it an assumption because these coaches have a TB team?

In my case, fact. I have commented a few times about the conversation I had with the HS coach this past year (she couldn't believe these kids had played "competitive", I explained it's not competitive, just expensive).

The funny thing is I had a similar conversation with her when she started doing that almost ten years ago -- it was when I ran the local rec league. She started telling players that if they wanted to play in school, they were NOT to play rec ball. After a year I approached her and let her know that the kids who were jumping to "competitive" were actually playing on the same caliber of teams and often seeing less playing time than they would in rec. She didn't see it that way then, but she is starting to realize it now. Then again, she is the coaching equivalent of the kid who throws the glove in the back of the minivan once practice is over and pulls it out from the same spot when the next practice starts. She wants somebody else to do the work for her.

May 29, 2015
The parents and players never got a break from each other. Instead of going out and making new friends from all over the place they lived in the vacuum of local sports.

You win the internets for today, sir!

When my kids started playing "travel" softball and volleyball, THAT is why I became a big fan of it. Once I saw the impact of getting away from the same people and the benefit to playing on new teams regularly, seeing new coaching styles (good and bad!), and working with new players regularly ... To me that is the BIGGEST benefit.

Jul 2, 2013
You are making an assumption the HS coach knows what they are doing. Not always the case.

True. I thought of that when I posted.

If I were a high school coach my plan would not be to build my own travel teams at younger ages. It would be to get to know the players and parents at that level and help them to build a program themselves. If they could put together a group of girls from the area that could play at the B level, that would help everyone. I would push the best players to move on to higher level teams when needed but try and keep a B team in the area for the girls who want to play but it isn't their lives. They are the ones that will make or break you in high school (especially in small towns).

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I'd be happy to have even a single girl who plays travel ball come to our high school. I can't imagine caring which particular travel team she was playing for.

Sep 13, 2015
Playing for your hs and with classmates is a big deal! During the past decade, travel ball has watered down local rec teams and forced hs softball to ride shotgun. Just speaking for myself, I think this is very unfortunate because at this rate the sport won't continue growing. As it stands, very few lower income, or even single parent families, can afford the sport. Travel ball is, majority, just average teams comparable to REC teams in the past.
Where I live the HS team has a club program as well. Our 12u team (also LL All-stars) committed to the club/HS program in January and changed org.'s.
These girls are so close, go to school together, live near each other, and will attend H.S. together.
Our HS is the largest in the state, and we have phenomenal facilities and great coaching.
There are 3 other very talented (!) girls in same district but they chose a PGF type program with heavy travel, showcases, and exposure. Very $$$

While they would help win titles with their talent and experience, and of course they would make the team, I'm not sure the hs/club girls that will have 6-7 years experience together, would even accept them on the team at that point. I have no doubt the girls that have"bought in" completely to the team/school concept, will win a couple state titles. And they won't even need the other 3 girls to achieve that goal. A "Team" committed to each other, year round, to be the best team they can be will be successful no matter what. It would be very hard for a girl that plays on another team, missing out on the whole off season grind and tournaments, to just show up and play for the h.s
The girls on the team are too close , they would expect their teammate to "buy in" to the program and would reject them if not. Coach would have nothing to do with it.
The three girls? They will play college ball. Studs!! They are playing the best all over the country and their parents can afford to. But if all that talent, without hard earned team chemistry, diminishes the HS squad at all, then they shouldn't bother trying out.
Crazy thing is, with those 3, we not only win state titles, but could successfully compete nationally at all club levels. We are trying to change the narrative where club > HS always.. Hopefully inspiring girls from our community to "buy in" when it's their turn.
**We are unique with our high enrollment and strong local softball community. I know we are blessed and this option isn't open to everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi