Target on DD's back...from own team's parents

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2011
This is along the lines of an earlier post describing that a dad's DD had a target on her back from former LL parents from other teams.

This is what I am experiencing and I am not sure how to handle:

This is my DD's first year of fastpitch and her first year on a travel team. She is a second year 12U player on a mixed team of '98 and '99 players. She had previously only played in a slowpitch league for 3 years.

She leads the team or is second in most stats in batting. Definitely hits for power and has more extra bases hits than singles so far. You get the picture.

She is also very good fielder. She competed and earned the shortstop position, which she played consistently for the first 4 or 5 tournaments. She makes errors of course both batting and fielding, but she clearly has earned her spot and has worked hard to get good.

Starting with 2nd tournament of the season, parents were sending the coach venomous emails about my DD performance and were calling for her removal from the shortstop position. She had a .950 fielding [30 opportunities] at the time. I was copied on the emails as I was a loose assistant coach at the time.

Eventually, the parent drama bled over to the players and my DD. She knew that parents on our own team were hoping and secretly cheering for every error that she made. She knew that all eyes were on her. She knew that her own teammates parents were waiting for her to make even the slightest mistake. Every mistake created another set of emails to the coach.

My DD started to crumble under the pressure, making errors and being tentative so as to not make errors. The fun died.

The coach, last weekend, without a single word assigned her to LF with only a relief inning at short. In bracket play, she only played LF. My DD was very upset as she did not understand why she had lost her position after she had and continues to work her butt off. The coach told her that there was a lot of pressure from the parents to have another DD play at short. She asked how she could earn the position back and the coach did not have an answer.

She is frustrated and has asked me why she has worked her butt off at practices [at short] and now has lost her position to a girl that has missed the last 10 practices in a row.

Am I just whining...please let me know...or is this coahc sending the wrong message. I am torn as to how to proceed...

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Oh, my goodness! I get so tired of adults ruining softball for the girls. What kind of coach lets parents run the team? I have no reason to doubt your side of the story, but if parents are bullying a 12YO girl, you need to put a stop to it. Stand up for your daughter, even if you have to pull her off the team. I would gladly drive her 2 hours to another team, just to get her away from that environment.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
If what you say is true statistically, it sounds like you're on the wrong team. Sounds to me like the parents haven't gotten past the rec league mentality that whoever has been there the longest should get the choice positions. The coach should be telling the parents to take the time they're spending sending him emails and use it to work with their daughters to make them better.

If the kid who took your daughter's place does well now, your daughter is out of luck for the rest of this season. Have her work to be the best LF she can while you start looking around for another team/organization for next year. Not all are run this way.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
If the story is like you report, it is time to go. The coach sounds like they have lost their team to a group of parents. I would get out before it gets uglier for yuor DD. Normally I would say stick out the season, but there is NOTHING that your DD can take away from the experience you describe.

May 25, 2011
Thank you

Thanks everyone for your replies. Yes, the girl now playing short is doing fine so I think you are right in that she wont have a chance to get back there...and yes, I think the coach has lost the team to the parents. I call it coaching by email...or rather coaching to avoid getting emails from certain parents.

One thing I have learned...I am never playing daddy ball again [even though the girl now playing short isn't the coaches' DD].

Jan 31, 2011
What a shame. Like Ken said, most organizations are not run this way. Coaching is not a popularity contest. Once you go down that road, there is no coming back!

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
We had something similar to this happen also to our short stop. We play 14U, even though most of our team can still play down. The majority of this team came from a non-competitve league and we are now in a more competitve rec league. Coach described it to me the other day as not real softball. So while the girls can catch and throw, they are not overly aggressive.

Our SS, played softball when she was younger and then left to do gymnastics for several years and has just returned. She is a very good player!
1 week before league play started, the coach got a text that 2 of the girls quit. Something about the team wasn't going the way they were hoping. 1 girl was 3rd, the other was an outstanding OF with some amazing speed (and a lefty). When it came down to it, the 2 girls were BFF's so it was a package deal apparently, and the OF was upset she wasn't playing SS like she had always done before.

Coach convinces them to stay and puts OF'er at SS. Who doesn't know how to play it at this level. She doesn't move to 2nd or 3rd on steals and would more often then not miss a field on a ball hit to her or drop the cut-off throw. It was frustrating to watch knowing the coach kinda got bullied into it.

Our regular SS still gets most of the innings, but last night we were playing with a limited roster and the OF'er was at SS, SS was at 3rd, and 3rd was at 1. The OF'er (who plays more 2nd now) had a great game! She seems to have stepped up her game to learn how to do what needs to be done.

With that said, it so hard to sit back and watch things like this play out and know it is only happening because a parent threw a fit about something. It doesn't teach the girls to work hard for what they want, it teaches them that who ever gripes the loudest will get their way. Not a life lesson I want my DD to learn.

Mar 13, 2010
Pull her out. Pull her out now.

Any 'coach' that is willing to demote your daughter because parents are crying does not deserve to be coaching.

Oct 18, 2009
I'm wondering if its just this age group of parents... 12u/10u parents seem to be the craziest. 12u/10u coaches are also usually the least experienced in dealing with these parents. does it get better as they get older?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes