Talent Code

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Wow!! You are in luck!! There are many good softball/baseball books.

Softball Books - Coaching Fastpitch Softball Successfully Kathy Veroni

Amazon.com: Softball Skills & Drills (9780736033640): Judi Garman: Books Judi Garman

Defensive softball drills - Google Books Jacquie Joseph

You can teach hitting - Google Books Dusty Baker

Many, many more. The ones above are among the best. Dusty Baker, You Can Teach Hitting was my first, I think.

Add The Science of Hitting to the list also. Ted Williams was the best hitter ever in BB, IMO. He knew what he was doing and why he was doing it.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
The lines move fast. Amy posted this, which is basically what we're doing ‪Ground Ball Work - Mike Candrea‬‏ - YouTube

-W

I like these drills as well and have incorporated it successfully into my practices when Amy first posted them earlier in the year. Just don't agree that you should purposely hit balls into players waiting in line to get their attention. Seems dangerous and unnecessary.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
The science of hitting isn't a good book for someone just getting their feet wet. It is almost better for a player, and a very high level player at that, than a coach, if that makes sense.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
The science of hitting isn't a good book for someone just getting their feet wet. It is almost better for a player, and a very high level player at that, than a coach, if that makes sense.

True, it would probably be over the head of an 8 YO, but anyone wanting to learn about hitting will benefit from reading it. She won't be 8 forever, I wish I had read it when my DD was younger.

Nov 1, 2009
ಠ_ಠ That was a joke, right?

Had a girl come to our team once that was the recipient of a line drive to the face while waiting in line. She was the last to field so she didn't even get into position to pay attention. First rule. Practice must be safe!

Nov 1, 2009
Repitition is how you teach fielding. The drills that Amy mention above are great and we have used all the defensive videos offered by ASA. By tossing the ball you control the trajectory of the ball and the quality of the fielding.

As far as hitting balls randomly. I don't completely agree with this concept mostly because when a coach is hitting balls the fielder can't read the pitch to decide the first move.

Aug 2, 2008
In the game 21 outs do you have baserunners? what do you consider an out? If a baseman saves a bad throw does that count for an out? I guess what I am asking is how do you play 21 outs?

R

RayR

The way I play is that I determine if an out is made on the play - if someone saves a bad throw it is an out. No baserunners.

If I hit a gap to set up a relay to 3B - I don't give them an out if the relay is completed correctly, but I will start the count over if the relay is screwed up. Not using a runner allows the players to focus on getting to the ball and making a good throw. I feel many times relays are screwed up because players rush the throw before they find their target. Our relays throws improved immediately in games.

We succesfully defended a suicide squeeze play this weekend because we practice shovel tosses as part of IF practice and as part of 21 outs.

I also give 2 outs on dives for outs just to sweeten the pot.

The hardest thing about 21 outs is being committed to starting the count over....players will whine and moan and petition for outs or do overs at first.....be committed and your players will respond and most likely learn to value 21 outs.....at least that has been my experience.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
When I do 21 outs, I only count plays that have the possibility of resulting in outs. In other words, a clean shot to the gap is a push or neutral -- no out, but no start-over either.

One additional rule I've added is not only does the play have to be made cleanly, but the throw in for the next play has to be good too. If they throw that away, you start over. Also, I have them switch positions every seven outs; everyone on the team plays two positions so it assures they get practice at both.

I agree with MTS -- the hardest part is committing to starting over, especially when you get down to the last three or fewer. Sometimes you're ready to get the game over with too, but you have to stick to the plan. It really adds pressure when you get down to one more out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC