Switch teams?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
Joe I am in the same minority as you. Something that has been lost in recent generations is people fulfilling their commitments. If you have already made one, then you must stick it out. If not think of the lesson you will be teaching your dd.
There had to be something on your team besides an opening to make you decide to join.
There must be a reaon they still have openings with that good of a coaching staff.

So, what you are saying is that once you have a job and another one like you like more comes up you wouldn't take it??? It is early in the whole process of this thing, if you and your DD like the other team better go. Explain what happened to this team and move on. It's not you you are leaving them high and dry 2 weeks before the state tournament. This is the nature of the beast.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
I am also in agreement with Joe, stick it out for a season. Two things I have learned that apply both to life and softball. One is there is a reason the grass is greener, usually its more "fertilizer". Second is, that the softball community is generally small. Whatever you do will be remembered for quite some time and may help or hurt you in the future.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I think you all are overthinking this. Let her play for the team she wants to play for - this is her activity, not yours. She is getting to the age where she should start to know that her decisions may have future consequences, and if this turns out to be one of those, better to learn it at 12U than 16U. A girl's time playing softball is potentially too short to make her play for any team for which she has less interest and enthusiasm.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would stick with the first team that we committed to. There is always going to be a "better team" and someone trying to recruit her. She could find 4 or 5 teams a summer that she wants to play for. You will get a bad reputation, if you go back on your word very often.

Mar 31, 2011
My DD is in a very similar situation. She tried out and made a team this summer, on a private tryout, after not making the team she wanted ( they did tryouts for show, had no openings). Turns out the team is new with a lot of first year players (but very talented). Both good and bad for her. One, she is without question one of the top two players. She is the starting pitcher. The coaches want her to be a leader for them. But the team will not win as much or be competitive all the time. Also the practices (so far) have not been as intense or structured as she is used to, still a little rec ball mentality going on. She is worried she will fall behind other players by next year.

Then.

Local rec team coordinator, who I have coached for, calls and said they are forming a travel team, due too the number of girls leaving and playing select ball in the near by metro area. My DD being one of them. This rec league is ultra competitive as it is, just not too many games played in a year. Now they plan to play 45-50 games with this new team, that will be a B team. They will also play against the team my DD is playing for now.

Easy I say, stick to your commitment. They are giving you a great shot to do what you love, pitching.

Except...

This new team is all the girls in her school most in her grade of 60, she will go through HS with them and play HS softball with them. She has known them since Kindergarten. They are her friends. This team will be good and very competitive. Some small town politics and a little daddy ball, but it will be a good team. Coach called and said that there are tryouts, but she would/should make it without question, and that they needed her. I know they will practice harder than anywhere she has been before.

I have never let her quit anything until the season is over. And right now she is in the middle of fall ball. Having made a yearlong commitment to her team. But I know where she would have the most fun.

She has two weeks. And I have little idea on what to advise her to do.

Do you place commitment over fun memories with your friends?

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2010
Florida
My DD is in a very similar situation. She tried out and made a team this summer, on a private tryout, after not making the team she wanted ( they did tryouts for show, had no openings). Turns out the team is new with a lot of first year players (but very talented). Both good and bad for her. One, she is without question one of the top two players. She is the starting pitcher. The coaches want her to be a leader for them. But the team will not win as much or be competitive all the time. Also the practices (so far) have not been as intense or structured as she is used to, still a little rec ball mentality going on. She is worried she will fall behind other players by next year.

Then.

Local rec team coordinator, who I have coached for, calls and said they are forming a travel team, due too the number of girls leaving and playing select ball in the near by metro area. My DD being one of them. This rec league is ultra competitive as it is, just not too many games played in a year. Now they plan to play 45-50 games with this new team, that will be a B team. They will also play against the team my DD is playing for now.

Easy I say, stick to your commitment. They are giving you a great shot to do what you love, pitching.

Except...

This new team is all the girls in her school most in her grade of 60, she will go through HS with them and play HS softball with them. She has known them since Kindergarten. They are her friends. This team will be good and very competitive. Some small town politics and a little daddy ball, but it will be a good team. Coach called and said that there are tryouts, but she would/should make it without question, and that they needed her to make this work. I know they will practice harder than anywhere she has been before.

I have never let her quit anything until the season is over. And right now she is in the middle of fall ball. Having made a yearlong commitment to her team. But I know where she would have the most fun.

She has two weeks. And I have little idea on what to advise her to do.

Do you place commitment over fun memories with your friends?

I honestly struggle with this. Let me put it a different way. If your DD was on a team and the starting SS decided to leave for a better "B" team, how would you feel? When would you be upset? Two, three, four players??? At what point do you say it is ok to let down 10 other families who are counting on your DD to pitch for them? If this new team is just starting out and your DD will make or break them having a team, it sounds like a team I would stay away from. Any team that is that reliant on one player is sure to fail. I would have to give it a ton of thought.

Mar 31, 2011
<i>"and your DD will make or break them having a team"</i>

Let me re-phrase that. She would really make a great addition to the team. They will be solid without her. The can be stonger with her. I do not think she will be a make or break player for them. Just some language used by the coach to sell his team to her.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2011
I would do what is best for your DD. Period. No story here. Just do what is best for you and move on.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This is a real tough issue, mainly because this is September and the real season doesn't start for 6 or 7 months. So, you aren't going to do a lot of damage to the other team.

Before you go, you should carefully discuss the issue of your DD's playing time with the coach of the other team and make sure you understand her role. It isn't beyond a coach to kiss up to a player to get her to commit to his team and then try to find someone else who is better.

Be very, very careful and investigate the new team thoroughly before you jump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd