Swinging down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
you poke fun at Rich yet you copy his phrases and his teachings, What he teaches isnt anything new. But hey you seem conflicted.

Here's a concept that some people have a hard time grasping, especially in these days of social media tribalism...

Just because you agree with some of what one person says doesn't mean you agree with everything they say, or support everything they do.

Jun 8, 2016
@pattar TMs is very different then what I would want. I want the leg to push the hips for stretch.
e.g. use your backside and not get stuck..TM's main source of resistance/stretch is through a coil from the rear leg up to the upper back and his main focus on the move out is to maintain this (corner) on the move out where your resistance is created as you stated. TM's "leg snap" is the "breaking" of this resistance (I think)

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
A couple of years back, I stumbled across this video made by Board Member (who I believe used to post here often) addressing TM's swing methods:

Did TM ever address this binding of the wrist issue discussed by Board Member? That issue alone makes it difficult for me to buy into TM's swing concepts. Here's a companion video by Board Member discussing other aspects of his swing concepts:

Pretty good stuff IMO.

Board Member has been probably one of the biggest posters here and his questions to Richard is valid. I know Richard teacher the barrel is perpendicular to the forearm as BM stated.

Richard’s contribution to hitting in general is sad it’s overlooked IMO

Swaggy 44

Banned
Jul 30, 2021
Here's a concept that some people have a hard time grasping, especially in these days of social media tribalism...

Just because you agree with some of what one person says doesn't mean you agree with everything they say, or support everything they do.
i agree. I agree with 90 percent of TM concepts and 0 percent of his way of going about it!

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
There's one of the major differences - pushing rear leg vs. pulling rear leg.

when I say ‘push’ that is the knee going down to push the femur Into the hip. Vertical force or GRF. It happens in both legs. I just don’t agree w some Twitter guys when they say the force originates from the front leg and that the ‘peel’ happens from something else. If you just watch the knees it’s easy to see what makes what react imo. Just so we are clear. Not saying you were muddying up anything.

1641230198690.gif

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
@pattar TMs is very different then what I would want. I want the leg to push the hips for stretch. If you just sequence a load (lower half) before the hands you get the stretch reflex you’re after aka The ‘hips leading the hands’. Here’s my kid doing a walking away drill for that sequence.

View attachment 24798

@Mike-Coach Q no set up. Thanks.

I can see a lot of similarities in this swing , a great swing BTW, and what Richard teaches. The amount of tension in the body parts and where the weight and balance held and released is different . Top hand swing vs bottom hand swinger, but not enough to bash and discredit HLP hitters.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
when I say ‘push’ that is the knee going down to push the femur Into the hip. Vertical force or GRF. It happens in both legs. I just don’t agree w some Twitter guys when they say the force originates from the front leg and that the ‘peel’ happens from something else. If you just watch the knees it’s easy to see what makes what react imo. Just so we are clear. Not saying you were muddying up anything.

View attachment 24802

What I see in your DD is her rear knee behind the rear hip, pushing the hip forward with the rear leg turn. What I see as a pulling rear leg is the rear knee turning ahead of and pulling the rear hip.

For my DD, the pulling rear leg, and working her torso over and behind the rear hip is what works best for her. When she gets ahead of her rear hip, things fall apart significantly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283