Swinging behind the corner

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
So, Junior 1 is hitting an outside pitch and going the other way (HR). He let it travel, sent the barrel backwards, deep pivot.

Junior 2 is hitting an inside pitch and must get the hands in front of sternum. I found that swing when I found out you could let the ball come right your swing. No extension out front to pull the pitch. He bends the front arm, doesn’t remain straight.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Yes hands behind sequence/separation, but they don't lead in movement forward. Notice hips and shoulder uncoil movements prior to launching of hands here, with Bryce as one example of every hitter. Hands separate the greats when all else is good "We agree 100% there" They just don't lead the swing sequence outside of the loading part in their rear path back, prior to bat launch.

Why can't you say the hips launch. Harper's hips start to uncoil before his hand move.

Aug 20, 2017
The whole body is reacting to what the hands want to do. I think the body needs to be trained how to react to the hands but I think the hands ultimately control the body. Like the scissor move. Simply the body reacting to the hands needing space. Rear leg turning less on pitches away and more on pitchers inside. The hands want a clear, unobstructed path. The body listens to the hands

Oct 25, 2009
The lower half clears the path for the hands. The lower half creates the separation/stretch from the upper half/hands. If the hands were to lead they would too quickly be even with the hips (gate swing) or worse ahead of the hips.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The whole body is reacting to what the hands want to do. I think the body needs to be trained how to react to the hands but I think the hands ultimately control the body. Like the scissor move. Simply the body reacting to the hands needing space. Rear leg turning less on pitches away and more on pitchers inside. The hands want a clear, unobstructed path. The body listens to the hands
I think that's pretty advanced thinking. I get it. But if you tell a 11 year old hitter the hands control the body I think it will result in ugly, arms, dragging swing.
I still like the hands being thrown off the tilt a whirl rather than throw hands and torso responds.
Maybe some players are different and one cue might work for one but not for other.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
They move. Starting to Uncoil, rotate, slide, whatever while hands stay stiil.

RH, so not fyb for leverage Which allows the middle to stretch against the forward move then contract to swing ?

ZnUvc2p.jpg