swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2010
could someone go over the swing from step one to contact

That's a lot to try to put into words. Here's something that I post often, that may help;

aj7seqc.jpg

Aug 28, 2012
That's a lot to try to put into words. Here's something that I post often, that may help;

So would you say Andruw Jones swing is a good model for the swing mechanics you promote? Do you have the video that these stills were taken from?

Last edited:
May 16, 2010
So would you say Andrew Jones swing is a good model for the swing mechanics you promote? Do you have the video that these stills were taken from?

I would say that 95% of MLB hitter's swings are a good model for what I promote. They all do the same fundamental things. In our many discussions it seems to me that you can't separate fundamentals from individual style/technique. You seem to obsess over some details that are fairly irrelevant regarding whether the swing is good or not. You seem to think that a certain move drastically changes the fundamentals. They don't.

The stills were taken from the RVP software's library of MLB swings.

Do you own they RVP analysis software?

Are you aware of the 6 fundamental positions that Slaught defines as fundamental parts of EVERY MLB swing?

Hitters may have many different styles, but they all pass through those same fundamental positions, and they all apply bio-mechanics and the fundamental laws of physics, pretty much the same way.

Josh Hamilton and Buster Posey have very different styles, but their swings accomplish the same things laws of physics wise, and bio-mechanically they are very similar, although not exactly the same.

Mickey Mantle, Ted Williams and Rogers Hornsby had 3 very different styles, but they are all in the HOF. Why do you seem to insist that only one way is high-level? They all hit for average and power. They all applied the high-level physics needed to do that. They applied it with different techniques, but each technique produced the same fundamental physics needed.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2012
I would say that 95% of MLB hitter's swings are a good model for what I promote. They all do the same fundamental things. In our many discussions it seems to me that you can't separate fundamentals from individual style/technique. You seem to obsess over some details that are fairly irrelevant regarding whether the swing is good or not. You seem to think that a certain move drastically changes the fundamentals. They don't.

The stills were taken from the RVP software's library of MLB swings.

Do you own they RVP analysis software?

Are you aware of the 6 fundamental positions that Slaught defines as fundamental parts of EVERY MLB swing?

Hitters may have many different styles, but they all pass through those same fundamental positions, and they all apply bio-mechanics and the fundamental laws of physics, pretty much the same way.

Josh Hamilton and Buster Posey have very different styles, but their swings accomplish the same things laws of physics wise, and bio-mechanically they are very similar, although not exactly the same.

Mickey Mantle, Ted Williams and Rogers Hornsby had 3 very different styles, but they are all in the HOF. Why do you seem to insist that only one way is high-level? They all hit for average and power. They all applied the high-level physics needed to do that. They applied it with different techniques, but each technique produced the same fundamental physics needed.

I'm sorry... Is that a yes or no? Is Andruw Jones a good representation of the model you advocate?

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
jbooth & Noontime can you please post video of one of your students. I want to see if what you teach lines up with what these MLB players do. I can post videos of MLB players all day and say that is what I teach and throw in some language to get people to think that I know what I'm talking about. Not saying you don't know what you are talking about and also if you have put video of a student up. Tell us where to find it. Thank You

Aug 28, 2012
jbooth & Noontime can you please post video of one of your students. I want to see if what you teach lines up with what these MLB players do.
I will not nor do I care if jbooth does. This is about the material.... the model advocated by jbooth and specifically the image sequence jbooth posted as a swing model and whether the batter in the sequence, Andruw Jones, is a good representation of that model. This is not about his ability as an instructor or the ability of the students he instructs, neither of which have any bearing on the discussion of the material.

I can post videos of MLB players all day and say that is what I teach and throw in some language to get people to think that I know what I'm talking about.
That would be great, thanks! I have interest in hearing what language you would use. If you can articulate your thoughts on what you see happening in clips (MLB players or otherwise) and maybe even extend that to include descriptions of what you would say or do to try to either replicate it yourself or instruct someone else that could be helpful.

Not saying you don't know what you are talking about and also if you have put video of a student up. Tell us where to find it. Thank You
Thank you Nano. Where I was wanting to go with jbooth is probably more appropriate for a baseball specific site give that the focus would be what jbooth advocates as a swing model and contrasting that to MLB players, so maybe I'll just take it up with him somewhere else or in PM.

Cheers,
NoonTime

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2011
I will not nor do I care if jbooth does. This is about the material.... the model advocated by jbooth and specifically the image sequence jbooth posted as a swing model and whether the batter in the sequence, Andrew Jones, is a good representation of that model. This is not about his ability as an instructor or the ability of the students he instructs, neither of which have any bearing on the discussion of the material.

That would be great, thanks! I have interest in hearing what language you would use. If you can articulate your thoughts on what you see happening in clips (MLB players or otherwise) and maybe even extend that to include descriptions of what you would say or do to try to either replicate it yourself or instruct someone else that could be helpful.

Thank you Nano. Where I was wanting to go with jbooth is probably more appropriate for a baseball specific site give that the focus would be what jbooth advocates as a swing model and contrasting that to MLB players, so maybe I'll just take it up with him somewhere else or in PM.

Cheers,
NoonTime

This is a discussion I would be interested in. If you are teaching the A.Jones swing to a student (10-18 years old) , how would you communicate the movements without being too technical and over their heads. I dont believe this was an attack on jbooth theory. I think it was more of a discussion about "how" he teaches this. Am I wrong?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA