Swing Plane and upright position at contact

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Quote Originally Posted by julray View Post

I understand bat drag, well the classic kind anyway, but I was trying to teach her bat lag and I thought that she was getting the hang of it... I guess that shows how much I know.

JMHO mind you but, Bat Lag is a pass through position and it isn't something to be taught.

tumblr_oql765bWcz1usf292o1_400.gif

tumblr_oql6jqYg7Y1usf292o1_400.gif

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Thanks, I saved this video quite a while ago in my favorites. It is an awesome drill and my DD and I both love it. It is a challenge to apply this drill while using the no stride technique. However she loses a lot of confidence when she uses the stride approach at the plate.. so it's a tough sell for me.

If the swing has the basics down, one should be able to switch from stride to no stride without much issue. Typically Cabrera has a stride but in that gif I posted the link to he went with no stride. As FFS said, if nothing else your DD
can use the drill , with the stride, to be able to better feel creating separation and stretch in her swing and then move forward with the goal of trying to feel that same thing when she is no-striding.

As another visual, somebody on here mentioned to me in my DD's thread, the idea of throwing a heavy object and how you would perform that act when thinking about walking away from your hands (e.g. getting separation). If you were to take a large rock(for example) and throw it onto the bed of a truck, you would step forward with your front foot and as you did that you would bring the rock rearward. As your front foot hit the ground you would then bring the rock forward and throw it. This would sort of simulate the version of the feet together step and hit drill where you start your hands in the middle of your body and actively move them back. Also the act of throwing a softball correctly involves a similar sequence of actions as FFS has mentioned numerous time before I believe.

Dec 4, 2013
I agree with Spartsns - I don't think a "drill" is really the answer. I mean there are a couple I would do with this hitter, but without understanding what the goal is I don't know if a drill will do it. Spartans made a great post here https://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/31867-swing-plane-upright-position-contact-7.html#post440891

Aaron%20Judge_side%20view_zpsecjdvl92.gif

Where do you feel Judge's weight is during this swing? Does it ever go forward?

Good point......If you watch it in quicktime you will notice Judge begins to swing before his heel ever touches the ground! That it pretty telling.......

Dec 4, 2013
The upper body lunge issue occurs coming out of a faulty no-stride type base. It will be difficult to correct the upper body lunge mechanic while remaining with the current no-stride mechanic. The following step-and-hit drill should help obtain a proper feel.

As you perform the step-and-hit drill, there will be a stride. It is during this stride that Dixon used the cue to move the rear hip forward while keeping the rear shoulder back.

This video is starting to drive me insane. I feel like it is posted in every thread........

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
This here is very telling. A slow-motion swing is something that can be controlled fairly well ... and hence it tells the instructor what the hitter's mental image is of their swing. This here is not good.
I still see you copy and paste other peoples videos...haha
For a poster who never posted any one he works with, or had a poster say you were there hitting instructor, is a very telling story.
Any video of you teaching anyone????? We ALL know the answer...haha
Teaching hitting from a keyboard is well.....laughable

Still chasing the straightleg around when I post I see.....HAHA

SL

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I still see you copy and paste other peoples videos...haha
For a poster who never posted any one he works with, or had a poster say you were there hitting instructor, is a very telling story.
Any video of you teaching anyone????? We ALL know the answer...haha
Teaching hitting from a keyboard is well.....laughable

Still chasing the straightleg around when I post I see.....HAHA

SL

I wish good things for you SL .... such as learning the difference between "there" and "their".

Regarding your video .... Anyone performing a dry swing with the rear elbow that far away from their body, as they pass through the 'RVP connection point position', has an issue understanding the swing. In addition to learning the difference between "there" and "their", I also wish you success in learning the difference between what you instructed your daughter to do in that video and how accomplished hitters actually swing a bat.

Maybe you could post a few accomplished hitters swinging a bat with the "stinky arm pit" mechanic you have your daughter doing in that video. I'll wait patiently :rolleyes:.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
This video is starting to drive me insane. I feel like it is posted in every thread........

The step-and-hit drill is a good drill. I have several hitters begin their batting session with this drill. Until they have their sequence correct there is little need to go much further along the path to swing development.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thanks, I saved this video quite a while ago in my favorites. It is an awesome drill and my DD and I both love it. It is a challenge to apply this drill while using the no stride technique. However she loses a lot of confidence when she uses the stride approach at the plate.. so it's a tough sell for me.

Regarding the 'bold' above .... it should not be a challenge to apply the learning of "forward-and-prepare-to-throw"/"walking-away-from-your-hands" from this drill to a no-stride swing .... and if it is, then that's where the focus needs to be before going much further.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877