Swing Plane and upright position at contact

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2013
So my paraphrasing was dishonest and way off the mark? You are right, this is silly....

You are hanging on to the word oar lock like it is a staple in his teaching. Obviously you have some history with this....

If it only happened at one clinic wouldn't it still be singular even if it was with multiple kids?

tim-and-eric-mind-blown_zpsseqs3lbw.gif

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You really like the word Oarlock. Cool, use it, it's all good. I'm just telling you in two years of interacting with Teach online and in person I've never heard it said. Kids were struggling to swivel, he described it as an oarlock. Moving on.....

Oh, I believe you .... in fact, TM earlier argued vehemently against the oar lock analogy ... and now he claims it is the same thing as his second engine.

Hmmm ... turns out that TM's addition to Donny's work, the second engine, was already included in Donny's work.

Dec 4, 2013
Oh, I believe you .... in fact, TM earlier argued vehemently against the oar lock analogy ... and now he claims it is the same thing as his second engine.

Hmmm ... turns out that TM's addition to Donny's work, the second engine, was already included in Donny's work.

See I knew there was a deep history involved in this.........I'm not really in to that stuff. I'm a right now guy, and looking for practical things to help kids succeed (not saying you aren't)....

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
If it only happened at one clinic would it still be singular even if it was with multiple kids?

tim-and-eric-mind-blown_zpsseqs3lbw.gif

Let me explain .... you started off by speaking of 'fairness' and immediately changed “several kids” to “a kid”. I think you can understand how some might read your input as trying to give the impression that this was a rare isolated single kid type of occurrence … which it wasn’t.

Let’s agree to be more accurate and avoid silly games. TM had several kids that were having an issue with his swivel concept … and so he repackaged the information as the oar lock concept … and he concluded that it was the same thing. With the updated information the kids were successful. A happy ending.

Dec 4, 2013
Let me explain .... you started off by speaking of 'fairness' and immediately changed “several kids” to “a kid”. I think you can understand how some might read your input as trying to give the impression that this was a rare isolated single kid type of occurrence … which it wasn’t.

Let’s agree to be more accurate and avoid silly games. TM had several kids that were having an issue with his swivel concept … and so he repackaged the information as the oar lock concept … and he concluded that it was the same thing. With the updated information the kids were successful. A happy ending.

The initial caption of the video is "trouble with the swivel", before he even speaks! He is trouble shooting not changing his theory. I feel that message is being skewed.......But anyways seriously this is my last comment on the matter. I'm good agreeing to disagree.........

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The initial caption of the video is "trouble with the swivel", before he even speaks! He is trouble shooting not changing his theory. I feel that message is being skewed.......But anyways seriously this is my last comment on the matter. I'm good agreeing to disagree.........

TM: “What I have always demonstrated as my swivel, is basically the same thing as the oar lock.”

Dec 4, 2013
I don't understand this about the swivel concept. Looks to me like Judges hands are making forward progress as he swivels the bat. Looks to me like he is pulling the bat with his bottom hand??

Slow motion video can sometimes be deceiving. If that gif was in full speed I suspect you would see the barrel instantly start to blur. That is a good indication that the barrel is being turned. If the bottom hand was pulling the barrel towards the ball the blur would show up later....
HammerSwivel_zpslqpsr7db.gif

One blurs instantly, one doesn't........I love this gif on so many different levels...... Whoever made it, Thanks!

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
Slow motion video can sometimes be deceiving. If that gif was in full speed I suspect you would see the barrel instantly start to blur. That is a good indication that the barrel is being turned. If the bottom hand was pulling the barrel towards the ball the blur would show up later....
HammerSwivel_zpslqpsr7db.gif

One blurs instantly, one doesn't........I love this gif on so many different levels...... Whoever made it, Thanks!

Clear as day for those who want to see.

May 12, 2016
Judge is doing everything he can to stay back. His rear leg is turning his pelvis forward which in turn turns the torso forward. But, he is keeping his weight back behind his rear leg. The hands advance as he rotates/swivels his forearms and his torso gets turned forward.

Weight back means keeping the scap pinched/pulled back to the spine. This keeps the weight back in the back behind the rear leg. Think front to back as in front is the plate side and back is on the butt side of your body. The mistake by many is keeping the weight back as in towards the catcher.

Thanks for clarifying that... I think 90% of the people I talk to think that keeping your weight back means back towards the catcher!!! Earth Shattering moment for me!!!! LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad