Swing feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Please elaborate from your point of view Chris

tumblr_o03fwxZIiK1usf292o1_250.gif

Stick,

In simplest terms - tell her to not move so far forward when she swings. I found this helpful for DD2 in helping with the rear elbow.

Look how far her head travels.

Trying to get her to pull back into her front hip sooner might be a helpful cue for her...CP

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

Stick,

In simplest terms - tell her to not move so far forward when she swings. I found this helpful for DD2 in helping with the rear elbow.

Trying to get her to pull back into her front hip sooner might be a helpful cue for her...CP

I agree with You Chris.. She does a nice job of lateraly tilting, but is missing movement within the sagittal plane which should allow for both legs to support while allowing her to swing out from vs the rear leg driving IMO.

Allow the sagittal movement to be the driver which should allow for lateral tilt to happen naturally as a result.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Sometimes we see a swing being initiated across the body (i.e., in the frontal plane) simply because of a mistaken belief of how the swing is performed.

This here is a mistaken understanding of how the swing is initiated ....

2uzw7ds.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Stick, this is the kind of movement were looking for from the core.

DS35qE.jpg

Similar to this which should allow for both her legs and arms to be a supporter.

Jan 21, 2013

Stick,

What should be pulled back into the front hip? When should this be happening?

May 3, 2014
The top of the leg pulls back into the hip. This creates very tight hip flexion as opposed to bending over.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
IMO - the top of the front is always pulling back. The resistance against the pull back is the variable.

Butter, that is an interesting answer.

I think you can see why things can get confusing fast.

CP recommends that Stick’s DD “pull back into her front hip sooner”. He follows up with clarification that this occurs starting at toe-touch. Almost as if this pull back is associated with the Yeager block-push action of the front leg.

TDS speaks of both legs and arms, and provides a GIF that equates to a dynamic move being made out of the initial stance.

You speak of the pull back creating "tight hip flexion" as opposed to bending over. The description of hip flexion sort of conflicts with CP's description of the pull back occurring at toe-touch.

Your description of this occurring with one leg … the front leg … had me thinking more in terms of the feel going into peak lead-side lateral bend.

2ps2jps.jpg

TDS’s description is more to initiate the feel coming out of the initial stance.

A bit more clarity would be appreciated. Is CP correct in your opinion?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi