Swing Feedback Older DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2012
Really enjoying the feedback from little DD's thread. Here are a couple of swings from big sister for evaluation.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_nv1x2jVdTU1usf292o1_400.gif

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
This is not a rhetorical? ? While she gets some stretch by pushing her hands back her hip does not move forward it just spins. Shoukdnt there be some drive/move forward? Swing looks a little spinny. She seems to step w only her left foot rather than push w her right?

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2013
I agree with inde53546 about her swing being "spinny". Sometimes, a hitter can be too precise. This hitter has a nice swing, but it is too controlled. She would benefit from a higher leg lift and weight transfer to her back leg. In this video, there is no real weight transfer, which is a prerequisite for any power hitter. Her hands eventually get back toward the catcher, but with a good pitcher, this unnecessary hand movement will make it more difficult to catch up with faster pitches. She has obviously been taught to "squash the bug", which means she is pivoting (spinning) her back foot in order to rotate her hips. Although her hips do rotate after her foot spins, it doesn't look very powerful. The best hitters rotate their hips violently FIRST, which naturally forces the back foot to pivot and even come off the ground due to the force of the rotation. Finally, she looks like she has pretty good extension at impact with the ball, but the swing loses steam pretty quickly. She is in a good leverage position with a stiff front leg and a bent back leg, but her finish appears to be too controlled, like the entire swing. I would encourage her to load powerfully, rotate her hips violently, extend her arms fully at impact, and let the bat finish how and where IT wants to finish, without any intervention on her part. If she makes these simple adjustments, all that is left is to hit the ball as hard as her body will allow. She looks athletic enough to be a solid hitter.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

Similar pattern to the younger one, but without as much rearward lean (towards catcher). I think both have a great deal of potential. As others have stated, focus on fixing the sequence and move on from there. Maybe this gif will help. Take into consideration that this guy is obviously much larger and stronger than your daughter's but pay attention to his rear foot and the fact that the hips seem to be pulling his hands. If you attach an imaginary string from his rear hip to his hands, you can almost see the tug.

349cgfd.jpg

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Similar pattern to the younger one, but without as much rearward lean (towards catcher). I think both have a great deal of potential. As others have stated, focus on fixing the sequence and move on from there. Maybe this gif will help. Take into consideration that this guy is obviously much larger and stronger than your daughter's but pay attention to his rear foot and the fact that the hips seem to be pulling his hands. If you attach an imaginary string from his rear hip to his hands, you can almost see the tug.

349cgfd.jpg

Just wanted to point out the differences in the front legs of both hitters.
Pros lands with bent front leg then 'locks/firms up front leg.
DD's front leg lands 'locked out'. This causes the hitters point of 'axis' /rotation around the front leg. Something to possibly address. JMHO.
tumblr_nv1x2jVdTU1usf292o1_400.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez