Swing Feedback Older DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Do you see a difference between these 2? Notice the direction the upper core is working. The kid on the right is turning under behind a rear leg/hip pivot, While Bonds is getting sat while his hips are clearing and launching in the sagittal plane. This was previously described to Brooke's father.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Do you see a difference between these 2? Notice the direction the upper core is working. The kid on the right is turning under behind a rear leg/hip pivot, While Bonds is getting sat while his hips are clearing and launching in the sagittal plane. This was previously described to Brooke's father.

I get what you are saying for the above gif. Sort of along what another posters comments:
one of these hitters is attacking from above the ball while the other is dumping and attacking from below the ball.

The question was this though:
Please describe the two different movement patterns that Brooke is using.
After you said this:
Originally Posted by TDS
2 different movement patterns of Brooke.. Even though the most recent was a homerun and they both work I would take the younger Brooke which your daughters movement resembles.
On this 2 gifs:
Brooke_zpsg8ycstmk.gif

Brooke1_zpsz0q8ug8e.gif

I liked both swings. I like the the newer swing better because it is the same set up as what my DD uses now. I just would like to 'see' what I'm not 'seeing'. Thanks in advance.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
rdbass, Brooke's latest clip the rear leg/hip is the source of energy... The earlier clip her whole core (both hips/and above) is working with the barrel (connected) to transfer the energy.. The youth clip she keeps the barrel working from radial/ulnar deviation while her latest clip she supinates her rear forearm while firing rear leg/hip.

Like I said both patterns will work but they aren't compatible with one another..

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Not being argumentative but, just curious, does the rear foot slippage have anything to do with your opinion of 'rear leg/hip is the source of energy'.
Brooke1_zpsz0q8ug8e.gif

Reason I bring this up because it was mentioned in this thread:
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/22134-crankermos-dd-going-deep.html
Also thanks for your answer on the differnces of the brooke gifs. I understand what you are pointing out.

no.. I think the slippage is caused by her move towards the plate while trying to maintain her COM over the rear leg/hip.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Hmmm...I see her slip as being caused by wearing running shoes on artificial turf. ;)

However, I do like that it illustrates the direction of force at her rear foot.

Oct 12, 2015
All Over I Coach TB
I agree a bit to much movement. I am not big on a lot of movement. She has a lot of negative movement as she loads. I know this is a linear approach, but I teach load early, be quite at the top, Pull hands first, inside the ball, and drive off the back side, snap bat closed as you get to palm up palm down. Looks like she is spinning out with the bottom half and swing looks long. Love her head, down at contact. LOTS OF UP SIDE HERE....

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I agree a bit to much movement. I am not big on a lot of movement. She has a lot of negative movement as she loads. I know this is a linear approach, but I teach load early, be quite at the top, Pull hands first, inside the ball, and drive off the back side, snap bat closed as you get to palm up palm down. Looks like she is spinning out with the bottom half and swing looks long. Love her head, down at contact. LOTS OF UP SIDE HERE....

Is there a specific hitter you use as a model for what you teach?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.

Pull hands first,
Yes, I second that request...
Is there a specific hitter you use as a model for what you teach?

Oct 12, 2015
All Over I Coach TB
No, I try to use bits and pieces from both sides. I understand how to teach both swings. I teach a hybrid swing and work to each girls strengths. I know that a lot of college and pros are doing the same now. Depends on the hitters hands and bottom half to what I teach. My daughter has VERY fast hands, and a quick bottom half. Allows her to swing a heavy bat (-8 ) she has no negative move, loads and pull hands then hips, no step or slide, then fires the shoulders to finish. Love to teach hitting.

I would worry that the girl above Brooke is very long. As a former catcher who currently teaches catching with some success. I would pitcher her up or down and inside. BIG hole on the inside. Her long stride and load should not allow her to catch up to the pitching we see in the South, 60 -68 MPH screwballs running in on hands or curveballs that we start at her and break to the inside part of the plate, and good inside Rise ball I fear she would swing right through it. But if the pitcher misses she will hit a ton, and one of the principals I teach is hitters will only get 1 -2 pitches per game where good pitchers miss or make a mistake. These are the pitches good hitters drive. Love to see her with a nice quite, quick, explosive swing, short to long thru.

Last edited: