Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I mean, the only hitting instruction I ever got from anybody was my college coach telling me I needed to stay more closed so it isn't that crazy 🤷‍♂️ That said, I probably could have used more instruction :LOL:

Yea, for me it started in high school and continued into college.

May 12, 2016
This is not directed at you..

I have an issue with any cue that can't be taken literally. People twist themselves in pretzels trying to defend 'hands to the ball', etc. New parents waste years screwing up their kid's swings.

Why not use cues that are actually taken literally?
Because sometimes a little explanation goes a long way and the end result is the product of understanding what it takes to have a very good swing with great barrel path. I'M NOT saying there's anything wrong with your methods, I'm just not a big fan of skipping to the result without understanding what it takes to get there.

Reactions: TDS
May 11, 2014
View attachment 23096
This is spot on! One of the hardest things that I notice is how they view the purpose of the forward move/stride. They think the purpose is to take you to the ball or go get the ball. I've tried to have them understand that its not to take you to the ball, but to take you to a place to swing from and hit the ball from.

edit: This may be the reason among many, that younger players lunge or get over the front sometimes.
Have heard that side toss is a better drill for youth instead of front toss because of what you wrote about lunging.

Oct 16, 2014
This is not directed at you..

I have an issue with any cue that can't be taken literally. People twist themselves in pretzels trying to defend 'hands to the ball', etc. New parents waste years screwing up their kid's swings.

Why not use cues that are actually taken literally?
efastball,

What are cues you use with your players that are to be taken literally?

Jan 28, 2017
Went to a baseball camp at 14. They took video of my swing for the first time ever. Boy the bat drag. Went back on the field hit my first homerun. I think that's the only time I was videoed. At about the same time my HS coach gave me a Gary Ward tape to look at. I watched it everyday for about two weeks. That was my only training.

Looking at a lot of guys talking about how your scapula pinches against your rib cage and that gives you a down feeling.

May 11, 2014
Watch The System - Training Video Prototype
. System was developed with Rudy Jaramillo. Gary Ward I believe talks about side toss needing to be thrown hard and not tossed also

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06