Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 11, 2014
What a bunch of nonsense hitting jargon. They don’t have a clue of how the swing works.
Tell me your joking, whether you like what/how he teaches, to say Rudy Jaramillo doesn't know hitting is not based in reality. That's assuming you know who Rudy is. Next thing you will say is professionals don't know how they swing a bat.

Oct 2, 2017
This thread just gets better and better. I thought I would contribute some swings from my DS in view of several things discussed in here. One, the concept of both getting FYB and swinging down. Also, the idea of just how literal some of the common cues are (or are not). As well as a variety of other things discussed in here.

After a few different attempts at various teaching cues/ideas, DS is currently being taught “swing down to get to up” and “throw the knob at the ball”. The clips below show a few different swings from a couple of days ago. The first swing is broken down into several smaller components. In those, I think the FYB is clear. I think his hand path – throwing the knob at the ball – is also pretty clear. To me, it looks like the barrel path is steep – pretty much down to - but does put the barrel in the zone for a good amount of time, with the bat moving up just prior to and through contact. So I would suggest that “down to” and “knob to the ball” are (or can be) quite literal cues.

The common criticisms of his swing are that he disconnects by moving his hands away from his shoulder too early, and that he has no barrel depth. The question remains, I suppose, as to whether he maintains good posture while swinging “down to” and throwing his knob at the ball. Thoughts on that? Here are the swings:

5b8vM2Y.gif

SXoAqQI.gif
kqYnLh8.gif
nFiy6Rs.gif

Some other swings, one inside, one outside:

XKR8xY3.gif

vS0yO7f.gif
What are the suggestions to have more barrel depth that you have recieved? Because I gurantee you are not going to create much barrel depth with the posture that he is showing here. That being said he is not using that kind of effort here, and not trying to produce that kind of posture. IMO No different than when pros take easy practice swings they don't produce a lot of depth because their posture during the practice swing doesn't allow for it and honestly imo shouldn't be.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020
What are the suggestions to have more barrel depth that you have recieved? Because I gurantee you are not going to create much barrel depth with the posture that he is showing here. That being said he is not using that kind of effort here, and not trying to produce that kind of posture. IMO No different than when pros take easy practice swings they don't produce a lot of depth because their posture during the practice swing doesn't allow for it and honestly imo shouldn't be.

The typical response is that the barrel path is too shallow due to him swinging down and/or throwing his knob at the ball. Thus, the suggestion is to stop doing those things - i.e., either keep the hands locked to shoulder longer and/or torque the barrel rearwards, etc. It's interesting honestly, at least to me. Shawn commented earlier that he sees the barrel continuing on a downward path through contact. I don't really see it that way; to me it looks like the barrel is on the way up (though very slightly) at contact, even on these relatively low-effort swings. But I've learned the hard way that 10 people can watch the same video and see 10 different things.

Editing to add that his swing doesn't look much different when he's swinging at 100%. We typically end all of our batting sessions with 20-25 full effort swings, but they look fundamentally and mechanically the same.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Tell me your joking, whether you like what/how he teaches, to say Rudy Jaramillo doesn't know hitting is not based in reality. That's assuming you know who Rudy is. Next thing you will say is professionals don't know how they swing a bat.

Rudy is just a puppet standing behind successful hitters. There were plenty that went south under him. Perhaps the biggest hitter was Adrian Gonzalez who left and then was successful.

I have Rudy’s original DVD. Sorry if you lost money on his program.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
This thread just gets better and better. I thought I would contribute some swings from my DS in view of several things discussed in here. One, the concept of both getting FYB and swinging down. Also, the idea of just how literal some of the common cues are (or are not). As well as a variety of other things discussed in here.

After a few different attempts at various teaching cues/ideas, DS is currently being taught “swing down to get to up” and “throw the knob at the ball”. The clips below show a few different swings from a couple of days ago. The first swing is broken down into several smaller components. In those, I think the FYB is clear. I think his hand path – throwing the knob at the ball – is also pretty clear. To me, it looks like the barrel path is steep – pretty much down to - but does put the barrel in the zone for a good amount of time, with the bat moving up just prior to and through contact. So I would suggest that “down to” and “knob to the ball” are (or can be) quite literal cues.

The common criticisms of his swing are that he disconnects by moving his hands away from his shoulder too early, and that he has no barrel depth. The question remains, I suppose, as to whether he maintains good posture while swinging “down to” and throwing his knob at the ball. Thoughts on that? Here are the swings:

5b8vM2Y.gif

SXoAqQI.gif
kqYnLh8.gif
nFiy6Rs.gif

Some other swings, one inside, one outside:

XKR8xY3.gif

vS0yO7f.gif

work on stabilizing the obliques during his negative move. Look when hips leverage here. Earlier. right at positive move. I think that’s why he sways and his hands go back so far. That’s what I would work on.

1626817184854.gif

May 12, 2016
Well tbh a lot of people on this site do say professionals swing a bat but they don’t how … 🙂

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan