Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yea, I agree to far forward for my liking, but could help with the feel of leveraging the lead side... I want the hitters to be in an athletic position dynamically when fyb..

Makes sense, but I'm having trouble understanding how it is any different than what I have always done. Timing a moving ball is a window, not a static point in time. Sometimes the hitter is going to be a little late. Sometimes the hitter is going to e a little early. Early is better than late, but neither is ideal. The goal is to be on time while providing yourself enough of a window to handle either variance.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Makes sense, but I'm having trouble understanding how it is any different than what I have always done. Timing a moving ball is a window, not a static point in time. Sometimes the hitter is going to be a little late. Sometimes the hitter is going to e a little early. Early is better than late, but neither is ideal. The goal is to be on time while providing yourself enough of a window to handle either variance.

Does "down to" transition naturally with what you've always done ?

Jun 8, 2016
Do you see a difference between AJ's launch position when he is on time compared to the gif of Cabrera? I think maybe if you see a difference then that will explain what @TDS is trying to explain. Personally I don't like AJ's move out which effects this position at launch imo..

Reactions: TDS
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Does "down to" transition naturally with what you've always done ?

There you go with your vernacular again... I was raised on "hands to the ball". More accurately hands inside the ball and/or hands above the ball. Based on what @julray and others have said, it sounds to me like the same thing. You are hand path centric, where others are barrel path centric. They are ultimately linked together... @julray gets nervous when I quote him, so I will be careful... He made a statement a few pages ago that "down to" varies on pitch location. Low pitches require more down. High pitches don't require as much. Hopefully I got that relatively close (@julray -- If I misquoted you, it was not my intention). In any event, that concept is no different than what I started with when I was 8 years old. And that has been a few years...

Note: The thing I like about applications like Zepp is that they allow you to watch hand path and barrel path. The data can be eye opening in some cases.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Do you see a difference between AJ's launch position when he is on time compared to the gif of Cabrera? I think maybe if you see a difference then that will explain what @TDS is trying to explain. Personally I don't like AJ's move out which effects this position at launch imo..

I'm not a fan of this particular swing of AJ's. A bit stiff for my taste. If that is what he is referring to than all this is, is the same old TM discussion that we cannot seem to get away from, no matter how hard we try.

Jun 8, 2016
I'm not a fan of this particular swing of AJ's. A bit stiff for my taste. If that is what he is referring to than all this is, is the same old TM discussion that we cannot seem to get away from, no matter how hard we try.
I gave AJ because it is an extreme example of what he is talking about (I think). He is also thinks Adrian Gonzalez fits the rear-legged model

but to me the biggest difference is that AG looks a lot more balanced at launch (head approximately over belly button) and not stuck over his backside 🤷‍♂️

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
There you go with your vernacular again... I was raised on "hands to the ball". More accurately hands inside the ball and/or hands above the ball. Based on what @julray and others have said, it sounds to me like the same thing. You are hand path centric, where others are barrel path centric. They are ultimately linked together... @julray gets nervous when I quote him, so I will be careful... He made a statement a few pages ago that "down to" varies on pitch location. Low pitches require more down. High pitches don't require as much. Hopefully I got that relatively close (@julray -- If I misquoted you, it was not my intention). In any event, that concept is no different than what I started with when I was 8 years old. And that has been a few years...

Note: The thing I like about applications like Zepp is that they allow you to watch hand path and barrel path. The data can be eye opening in some cases.

FP26, sorry my language doesn't fit with your vocabulary.. All I am saying is all the pro's demos transition naturally if swinging from a leveraged position.

Nsg02G5.gif

FT4Qktc.gif

jFHegxO.gif

May 21, 2018
I gave AJ because it is an extreme example of what he is talking about (I think). He is also thinks Adrian Gonzalez fits the rear-legged model

but to me the biggest difference is that AG looks a lot more balanced at launch (head approximately over belly button) and not stuck over his backside 🤷‍♂️

Is AJ and AG's approach similar to Piancastelli or am I off base here? I love her swing and in another video she says she focuses on her back hip.

May 12, 2016

I feel insulted in a considerate way LOL. Quote away, it doesn't make me nervous :).

Yes you got it right. However, it's still the same hand movement on high vs low pitches, just on a different plane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1