Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2015
View attachment 23348

barrel perpendicular to spine and parallel to the shoulder line .. from a TILTED axis. Stand him straight up and his barrel path is down to level. Measure the barrel path from the body not the ground.
I agree with the bold, and why I started talking about "under vs over" years ago. The barrel path goes under the rear shoulder as in the swing above, and in all HL swings, and it never goes over the rear shoulder as shown in all of the demos of the "swing down" are showing.

As FP has said, I too am OK with the thought process of "staying on top of the ball" to be able to hit pitches up in the zone as well as those lower in it. But to teach or drill kids to hit the ball into the dirt in front of them like I've seen and heard many talk do and talk about, is detrimental to their overall swing process and development...IMO.

Apr 11, 2015
FP26, yes we know the physics side and how the barrel plains the pitch during the "down to".. Top half is an aiming reference..

So what adjustments do you give hitters when they are trying to get behind the ball but constantly popping up or swinging under ?
Well goll dang...finally! "Top half is an aiming reference"...totally agree. 👍🏽

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I have no issue with "targeting" the top half of the ball as long as that is not the actual goal. Years ago I spent a lot of time with rifles. It becomes necessary to adjust your sites based on various factors such as distance or wind.

When I coached we always had a bow net and tee outside the dugout. It's rare that I would adjust anything based on a single at bat because there are so many things involved. One bad swing doesnt necessarily require work. But if the same thing is happening consistently that is when we use the ladder drill. I have masking tape markers inside the bow net to help with the process.

Typically its an adjustment one makes during the AB/practice.. Lots of variables but this is one of the drivers with the Bonds drill. It's all about controlling the barrel.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Well goll dang...finally! "Top half is an aiming reference"...totally agree. 👍🏽

Its always been that way...
Yes, on every swing I take my weight is my left foot (I hit LHed) and as I start swinging, my weight shifts to my right foot at the time of contact with the ball...perfect "FYB".

I also know that your question was just another non-answer to my request for you to explain how you swing ""Down to" the plane of the pitch focusing on hitting the top half out front", and expecting the downward bat path hitting the "top half of the ball" to produce a LD instead of a GB.

So please tell everyone now, how a bat swung in a downward path, that hits the top half of the ball...will produce an exit angle of the ball anything but down also. Or are you saying that Dr. Nathan has had it wrong after all these years?

Yes, we all know your movement pattern (swing is the shift)..

Apr 11, 2015
Its always been that way...

Yes, we all know your movement pattern (swing is the shift)..
No you don't, because what I wrote that you highlighted, is a direct quote of Babe Ruth, that I just inserted knowing you'd swing and miss on that also. Lol...

So you're now saying that Babe Ruth's weight transfer, and Ted Williams barrel path are both incorrect.

Well at least we can say you're hitting 100% on not understanding, misinterpreting or at worst misrepresenting what two of the greatest ever say they do...and are actually doing those exact same things they say they do in their game swings.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
No you don't, because what I wrote that you highlighted, is a direct quote of Babe Ruth, that I just inserted knowing you'd swing and miss on that also. Lol...

So you're now saying that Babe Ruth's weight transfer, and Ted Williams barrel path are both incorrect.

Well at least we can say you're hitting 100% on not understanding, misinterpreting or at worst misrepresenting what two of the greatest ever say they do...and are actually doing those exact same things they say they do in their game swings.

Mud, you and maybe a couple others can't accept the pattern differences.... Its why the continued arguments against the "down to"..

Down to isn't compatible with the rear leg/hip driven swing where the lead side catches the swing.

knzdEtX.gif

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
Mud, you and maybe a couple others can't accept the pattern differences.... Its why the continued arguments against the "down to"..

Down to isn't compatible with the rear leg/hip driven swing where the lead side catches the swing.

knzdEtX.gif

No, not at all...now you're just bouncing around like a pinball machine ball. I just agreed with you that the...
Well goll dang...finally! "Top half is an aiming reference"...totally agree.

If it's now just an "aiming reference", how or why would it matter what pattern difference one subscribes to in their swing?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
No, not at all...now you're just bouncing around like a pinball machine ball. I just agreed with you that the...

If it's now just an "aiming reference", how or why would it matter what pattern difference one subscribes to in their swing?

The Barrel path is swinging"down to" the plane of the pitch (no loop) while the top half of the ball is an aiming reference ( target on the ball ).. Always has been.. It's why the Bonds drill is so effective..

Apr 11, 2015
The Barrel path is "down to" the plane of the pitch (no loop) while the top half of the ball is an aiming reference.. Always has been.. It's why the Bonds drill is so effective..
If the "Barrel path is "down to" the plane of the pitch" (that is also going down) - aiming at - "the top half of the ball"....how and when does the barrel path miraculously turn up, and hit anything but the top half of the ball?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

Interesting how "listen to the pros" really means "listen to these pros but not the other pros"...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma