Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Sure, been saying that since day one, if you're in agreement with that now, that's outstanding.

See my post just above this one, replying to someone talking about swinging....

...just today.

Do you believe that you can "swing down", hit the top half of the ball, and not continue to swing down through it after contact?

If so, when does the bat path turn up to hit the top half of the ball, and do you really believe that would cause the ball to have an upward flight instead of a downward one?

Mud, have you ever been in a leveraged fyb position before swinging ? If you had you would understand the meaning of top half while hitting the ball out front, where you can actually see it vs trying to loop the barrel behind the ball.

ES3JbD6.png

QHxjiyM.gif

8cuVuk9.gif

Feb 25, 2020
get on top IMO means keeping the hands above the ball. This will keep the barrel on plane and direct with the pitch. Once the hands/barrel dips below the pitch path, the swing becomes long and loopy. Just my two cents

Right. So why is Trout swinging under every single fastball there?

I dont think he's loopy 8 times in a row. He is getting fooled by pitch path. The get on top (IMO) is kind of a bandaid to attempt to deal with that kind of fastball.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Top half from a leveraged athletic position allows hitters to see what they're attempting to hit due to the flat barrel path in an attempt to hit out front...There is no such thing when the rear leg/hip is the driver ( to steep of barrel path and swinging down across the ball )..

Hopefully some will recognize the difference in patterns..

AHgy9Bz.png

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
We may be getting somewhere; what creates the curved line for a swing referencing the brachistochrone? Lets refer to it as a loop vs a straight line. Are the hands manipulating this path?, or is it the result the turn of the body.

Imagine now that the cycloid is the turn of the body, the radius of the cycloid is indeed a straight line otherwise known as the path the hands must take. Which of course is what we have been saying all along. Keep the hands in a straight path add the proper rotation of the body and you will create the desired path.

Swing down and turn.

reminds me of ‘dropping the pig in a tornado’. Old DFP and BBD thread subjects. 👍

May 12, 2016
Right. So why is Trout swinging under every single fastball there?

I dont think he's loopy 8 times in a row. He is getting fooled by pitch path. The get on top (IMO) is kind of a bandaid to attempt to deal with that kind of fastball.
I think you answered your own question… maybe he is getting fooled. Getting on top is not a band aid fix, a hitter always wants to have his hands above the ball, regardless of pitch type. some hitters are better low ball hitters than others, some high. Trout has practiced extensively on hitting the high pitch because he has recognized it as a trouble spot in his swing. He actually practices hitting balls at his eye level.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Just listen to what he is saying. He explains it quite clear here in the video below. Bonds knows his body turns the bat level and up through the ball. MLB guys are always fighting against doing that too much, because that is what is easy. Down to with a turn keeps them from "chicken winging" (per Mike Trout) and keeps their path clean. The second they start thing lift the ball, their path is jacked up and they are under.

And exactly how does this apply to anything that I have been saying?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
IMO when they say "hit the top half" or get on top theyre talking about fastballs(4 seamers). A good 4 seamer finishes much higher than the brain thinks it will.

The "hit the top half" is to try to stop this from happening...

So it is a mental trick? They don't actually want to hit the top half, but they are trying to trick their brain? I can live with that answer, but I'm not sure some others will be willing to buy it.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
FP26, no they are attempting to hit the top half to hit line drives.. Homers are mistakes which is why the folks who preach down to had a respectable avg as well as homers..
But hitting the top half does not result in line drives. Hitting the top half results in ground balls. I know you are trying to listen to what pros says, but I am listening to what the laws of physics say... Not that I don't believe what the pros promote, but if it disregards the laws of physics, I have to question it.

Again, this has nothing to do with what they say they do. It has everything to do with the truth of what physics says about it. Of course, you can always choose to not believe physics. That is your choice...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles