Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
vLWbTgl.gif

Yep, same old stuff. Apparently physics no longer exist on this planet... That is the only way some of this stuff makes any sense.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
View attachment 23348

barrel perpendicular to spine and parallel to the shoulder line .. from a TILTED axis. Stand him straight up and his barrel path is down to level. Measure the barrel path from the body not the ground.

Excellent clip. I will not debate that this hitter is not trying to stay on top. I never questioned that. But he is definitely not hitting the top of the ball as @TDS preaches. If that is truly his goal, he has to be disappointed in his failure. Time to go back to the minors I guess...

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think you answered your own question… maybe he is getting fooled. Getting on top is not a band aid fix, a hitter always wants to have his hands above the ball, regardless of pitch type. some hitters are better low ball hitters than others, some high. Trout has practiced extensively on hitting the high pitch because he has recognized it as a trouble spot in his swing. He actually practices hitting balls at his eye level.
Good post. These are all things that I think most of us agree on. The complete disregard for the laws of physics that some people have totally baffles me...

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
View attachment 23348

barrel perpendicular to spine and parallel to the shoulder line .. from a TILTED axis. Stand him straight up and his barrel path is down to level. Measure the barrel path from the body not the ground.
FYI...I also have no issue with your post. The point of view is important. But it doesn't disqualify someone else's thoughts if they are using a different point of view. Both could be correct, just from a different perspective.

XlOmqh0.jpg

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
But hitting the top half does not result in line drives. Hitting the top half results in ground balls. I know you are trying to listen to what pros says, but I am listening to what the laws of physics say... Not that I don't believe what the pros promote, but if it disregards the laws of physics, I have to question it.

Again, this has nothing to do with what they say they do. It has everything to do with the truth of what physics says about it. Of course, you can always choose to not believe physics. That is your choice...

FP26, yes we know the physics side and how the barrel plains the pitch during the "down to".. Top half is an aiming reference..

So what adjustments do you give hitters when they are trying to get behind the ball but constantly popping up or swinging under ?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
FP26, yes we know the physics side and how the barrel plains the pitch during the "down to".. Top half is an aiming reference..

So what adjustments do you give hitters when they are trying to get behind the ball but constantly popping up or swinging under ?
I believe that is the first time you have acknowledged this. It's good to finally see.

I typically use the ladder drill from Tewks. It's essentially similar to the Bonds drill but not as extreme. Typically I find their posture is off and this drill helps that.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I believe that is the first time you have acknowledged this. It's good to finally see.

I typically use the ladder drill from Tewks. It's essentially similar to the Bonds drill but not as extreme. Typically I find their posture is off and this drill helps that.

I have always said they swing "down to" (NOT "DOWN TO THE BALL") and avoid letting the barrel loop under.. Yes the Bonds drill is a good drill.. It helps folks learn barrel control while hitting through the target...

What adjustments did you make or have students make during games when getting behind the ball wasn't enough ? You or your students kept swinging under the ball or popping up?

May 12, 2016
Yes there's nothing wrong with having a hitter target lower/upper half of the ball depending on tendencies you see in the moment. I've done it before as well with success. For example, facing a hard pitcher with a good rise ball, I have asked my DD to target the upper half of the ball. Drop ball pitcher, the reverse. After the game(next hitting practice) we could target areas of her swing mechanics through drills and conversation to address these areas

FB posted a video of Trout being constantly under the ball, obviously his perception was off, targeting the upper half of the ball might of helped in the moment.

Reactions: TDS
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have always said they swing "down to" (NOT "DOWN TO THE BALL") and avoid letting the barrel loop under.. Yes the Bonds drill is a good drill.. It helps folks learn barrel control while hitting through the target...

What adjustments did you make or have students make during games when getting behind the ball wasn't enough ? You or your students kept swinging under the ball or popping up?

I have no issue with "targeting" the top half of the ball as long as that is not the actual goal. Years ago I spent a lot of time with rifles. It becomes necessary to adjust your sites based on various factors such as distance or wind.

When I coached we always had a bow net and tee outside the dugout. It's rare that I would adjust anything based on a single at bat because there are so many things involved. One bad swing doesnt necessarily require work. But if the same thing is happening consistently that is when we use the ladder drill. I have masking tape markers inside the bow net to help with the process.

Apr 11, 2015
Mud, have you ever been in a leveraged fyb position before swinging ? If you had you would understand the meaning of top half while hitting the ball out front, where you can actually see it vs trying to loop the barrel behind the ball.

ES3JbD6.png
QHxjiyM.gif
8cuVuk9.gif
Yes, on every swing I take my weight is my left foot (I hit LHed) and as I start swinging, my weight shifts to my right foot at the time of contact with the ball...perfect "FYB".

I also know that your question was just another non-answer to my request for you to explain how you swing ""Down to" the plane of the pitch focusing on hitting the top half out front", and expecting the downward bat path hitting the "top half of the ball" to produce a LD instead of a GB.

So please tell everyone now, how a bat swung in a downward path, that hits the top half of the ball...will produce an exit angle of the ball anything but down also. Or are you saying that Dr. Nathan has had it wrong after all these years?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598