Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Let me guess @TDS. To you, the second clip still shows the hitter's barrel above his rear shoulder. The thing that I see that is pointing towards the catcher is not actually the bat. Is that correct?

Fp26, I didn't pay attention to where the barrel was pointing in the second clip.. Are You thinking the contraction is a result of him attempting to ttb ? The reason I use the pic is to show the core actions/reactions during the "down to"..

These guys know exactly where the barrel is during the “down to” with no thought of ttb (or loop the barrel). The barrel turns as a result.

Last edited:
May 21, 2018
Fp26, I didn't pay attention to where the barrel was pointing in the second clip.. Are You thinking the contraction is a result of him attempting to ttb ? The reason I use the pic is to show the core actions/reactions during the "down to"..

These guys know exactly where the barrel is during the “down to” with no thought of ttb. The barrel turns as a result.
So you just contract some core muscles and everything works itself out right?

May 21, 2018

These guys know exactly where the barrel is during the “down to” with no thought of ttb (or loop the barrel). The barrel turns as a result.

Yep, they know exactly what the barrel is doing.

May 12, 2016
Pre-launch style... Bo has a great deal of barrel movement. More than I would recommend, but some hitters are comfortable with it.
This makes no sense at all...

when Vladdy moves out and tips the barrel over his shoulder it's called "a running start"
gif (61).gif
when Bo moves out and tips the barrel in the opposite direction it's called "Pre-launch style"
gif (58).gif

IMO, it has nothing to do with a running start, both hitters are getting the hands in position to swing the bat. Bo starts with the bat on the shoulder, so obviously his adjustment will lifting the barrel off the shoulder. Vladdy starts with the bat vertical and in front of his shoulder, so obviously his adjust will be back over the shoulder. This gets both hitters hands prepared to launch towards the pitch. The barrel will follow the hands.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
This makes no sense at all...

when Vladdy moves out and tips the barrel over his shoulder it's called "a running start"
View attachment 23154
when Bo moves out and tips the barrel in the opposite direction it's called "Pre-launch style"
View attachment 23155

IMO, it has nothing to do with a running start, both hitters are getting the hands in position to swing the bat. The barrel will follow the hands.

They are both individual styles.

May 12, 2016
They are both individual styles.
That's what I said pages back, it has nothing to do with "a running start". One starts with bat on his shoulder, the other with it vertical. During the forward move they are getting in position to launch

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
That's what I said pages back, it has nothing to do with "a running start". One starts with bat on his shoulder, the other with it vertical. During the forward move they are getting in position to launch

Very well... We can agree to disagree on the running start. FWIW I do agree with the bold portion above.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207