Swing advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
One thing I have noticed with my dd and other girls I work with at game time.
They dont step out every time. Be seperated and steped out. Be loaded on every pitch

Say the pitcher throws a ball way out of the strike zone. I see them load the inside of the back leg or sit into the load and not take the next step. They stop and look at the pitch.

Then a good pitch comes and they are late.

I work with them to load and step out every pitch and they still do not do it at game time, every pitch, every time.

Pro baseball players when I have watched them, seem to step out on every pitch. They are ready every pitch.

Some college softball players I have seen dont step out on every pitch.

I think it is important!! Be ready every time.

Does anyone else look for this, or see this in players.

Straightleg

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
DFW
I see this all the time too. I think its more of a matter of routine/Habit. Many of them as they come up are told by Blue your only allowed to take one foot out of the box between pitches. Do not leave the box. Most often to save time. While that doesnt translate to the stride forward as your discussing here, I do think it can and often does become habit even when allowed to step from the box. My point being that I see the stride as the same type of thing in softball. You as a coach have to make it become habit by constant reenforcement when facing live pitching in practice.

Of course if your one of these coaches who doesnt use his pitchers for live pitching against his team then its hard to reenforce what you want to become habit.

Dana

Jul 11, 2009
I also notice that many girls do not step unless they are actually going to swing at the pitch. Sometimes if they wait to step until after they decided if they are going to swing it is too late. I try to tell my daughter that if she doesn't have to check her swing on every bad pitch then she is not being aggresive enough. You can always stop your swing if the pitch is ugly, but if the pitch is heat you will be starting too late. She nods in understanding but goes back to the same routine come game time.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
I also notice that many girls do not step unless they are actually going to swing at the pitch. Sometimes if they wait to step until after they decided if they are going to swing it is too late. I try to tell my daughter that if she doesn't have to check her swing on every bad pitch then she is not being aggresive enough. You can always stop your swing if the pitch is ugly, but if the pitch is heat you will be starting too late. She nods in understanding but goes back to the same routine come game time.

Daddy O

I am with Dana as to allowing the hitters to stand in the box when pitchers are practicing. For recognizing pitches and for speed. Swing Speed Radar sells a glove radar unit the catcher can attach to their glove. It is not as accurate as a radar gun however it gives the catcher and hitter an idea of what 50 MPH is or is not. The unit will read it faster however if you reach fast to catch it and will spike up as to the reading.

We teach when to load in a mirror...I stand behind the hitter and off to the side a little so they can see me with a ball in my hand. As I get to the K position I want them to load and at the pitchers window of release and I want them to step and then swing and be on target with where I am holding the ball in the mirror. Caution: Make sure you are away enough not to get hit on their swing!

We then go to the tee and I side soft toss...as I lower my hand to soft toss they figure out when to load so they do not stop and only think changing directions and as I release they step and hit. They are tracking the ball to the tee by looking through the net at a piece of tape or a reference point and as they get to toe touch they move their head a little ( as a RH hitter we want the nose to be pointed towards the second baseman's normal playing position) and the eyes stay on the reference point and then their eyes move to the ball on the tee. We give our head a head start as the eyes can move faster than the head. We have white rag glued inside the tee so they will keep their head down during contact.

The next drill then promotes hitting the ball off the tee with a pitcher in front of them. Use a pop up net or wall of a cage. Put a ball on the tee and vary the location as to in, middle or away. The ball is on the tee and I am the pitcher on the other side of the net and at the K position I want to see a load that does not stop and flow to toe touch and as I throw they hit the ball on the tee. VERY IMPORTANT....they are hitting softball balls and I am throwing tennis balls or whiffle balls! Every once in a while they will hit and I will throw on the same plane and their ball drives my ball back towards me! This is why I use a different ball and have gray hair! I throw a ball way left or right they will take the pitch and not hit the ball on the tee. They must be committed to hit every pitch unless they can predict the future and if that is the case I will make them be a stock broker. If you know Dana his hair is snow white so his students must have really put the fear of GOD into him once or twice also!

No body would probably agree with me however I feel strongly the commit to hit comes from feeling the back elbow start to lower as the hands are still back and even if the hips move there is lack of sufficient momentum to swing and you know it instinctively and try to hold back. This is another reason we want the hips to still be moving and not be at early heel plant and be on time with our hands back. Our kids seem to be able to adjust to change ups and faster pitching. Our main stay drill is the Barry Bonds drill so adjusting is not new to them.

Thanks Howard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole