Swimming Cure ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Stand beside her when she pitches and hold a swimming pool noodle in the area where she is swimming the glove.. If she swims the glove she will hit the noodle. Instant feedback. A couple of sessons of that and she will self correct.

Dana.

Mar 10, 2009
You might also try standing out in front of her and slightly to HER left (if she is a rightie) and put a boxer's or MMA target glove on your outstretched hand. Then have her throw dry pitches (no ball) and slap the target glove with her glove hand. I have used this drill to effectively fix the swimming issue and also to help lengthen stride/drive from the rubber.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I work a lot on trying to fix the swimming arm, if they come to me like that. I try standing them next to a screen or fence, and if the arm swims out, they hit it.

But, a lot of the big guns that I see pitching D1, swim their glove arm out. So, the girls see that and question me on it.

Oct 22, 2009
I work a lot on trying to fix the swimming arm, if they come to me like that. I try standing them next to a screen or fence, and if the arm swims out, they hit it.

But, a lot of the big guns that I see pitching D1, swim their glove arm out. So, the girls see that and question me on it.

Seeing the elite pitchers do it, makes it difficult when teaching students. The key is the shoulder staying in, but it is hard to teach the shoulder staying in, in younger pitchers if the glove is flying out.

Jun 24, 2009
Thanks all ! We will work on it . Could I ask another question ? Do you think the glove hand swimming contributes to the pivot foot kicking out , or as some would say (donkey kick) ?

May 7, 2008
DFW
Dad

Nope. I think that is most likely the result of your daughter bending at the waist and going nose over toes trying to guide the ball. Unless a coach taught her to do that. Which some do teach the figure 4. Without seeing her it would be hard to tell but that has been my experience with young pitchers.

Dana.

Aug 21, 2008
Have her try to throw the ball into her own glove. Go full motion and see if she can catch the ball in her own glove. If she cannot, it will be because her glove was swimming and way off line with the body. Slowly and surely she will pull the glove in line with the body and she'll be able to catch it.

Bill

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad