Suddenly Not So Controlled

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I think most people have touched on it but it could be any or a combination of the following
1. Growth sput, not used to new body.
2. Learning new pitches, not always easy.
3. Change from 40' to 43'.
4. Better hitters at U14
5. Early in the season hasn't found grove.

Mar 28, 2013
She shouldnt be writing off D1.She still has the ability to spin the ball as hard as any flamethrower and with the shorter levers she has the makings to an deadly accurate filthy junkballer.her hieght wont be an issue if she does not aknowledge it.Have her look up Russel Wilson.Oh Ya GO HAWKS!!

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
My DD also struggled with control after learning a new pitch this past fall. I do not think it is that uncommon.

You did not mention how she practices these new pitches, and whether she will spend practice on the new pitch exclusively, or will add to the pitch-specific time, a separate focus on making pitch transitions- e.g when throwing FB she may do well putting it on the corners if she s throwing several in a row, but if she has to transition from RB to FB or CB to CU, her accuracy drops.

I don't want to plug a resource but will just mention that Cindy Bristow has a nice on-line tutorial on how to structure pitching practices to address this area which is a common issue for many young pitchers. Good luck!

Jul 26, 2010
Growth spurt plus the mental stresses of being a tween/teen. Pitching is hard. Maintaining the mental strength needed to pitch successfully is even more difficult. Add to this the fact that the game is becoming faster and harder and the girls are going through major stresses in their lives during this time, and you understand why a lot of pitchers are no longer pitchers after this stage in life.

So my advice is to address this on two fronts:

First, make sure she has the tools she needs to strengthen her mental fortitude. There are many books and courses on this, as well as sports physiologists. In most cases, it is a HUGE boon for the kid to have an instructor that she can relate to and who has pitched through these struggles herself at this age. If not an instructor, then a coach who's willing to tell her how it is and what she's going to need to do to come out ahead.

Second, focus on her mechanics. IF she's growing, then it's likely she's not lengthening her stride, and may even be short-changing her arm circle because she's not stretching and using her newfound height. High pitches can be the result of short-striding, especially if you think her release point is erratic, which tells me she's reaching out towards the catcher a bit. That's much harder to do if the stride length is correct and the angle of the hips and shoulders are correct.

-W

Mar 31, 2011
Hi,
My DD has been pitching since 10- is now on first year 14U team. She goes to private coach weekly and is working on all pitches. Years past she was great at control, hitting spots. All of a sudden this season she has trouble getting first pitch strikes, her pitch/strike ratio is lower than ever. Her pitching coach thinks she is not always releasing correctly - she is mixing up riseball release/ vs. fastball etc. I am no expert so I don't know. She is high in the zone a lot more this year and has walked more batters in the last few games than all of last season.
Do all pitchers go through these struggles when learning other pitches?
Please help. I can tell she is getting frustrated.
WOW this is my DD to a tee.

Dec 7, 2011
I have lots of emotions around what this could be:

Is the new pitch being used by coaching as a "primary" pitch?

My DD went through an experience recently where the coaching wanted to start almost all at-bats with the "just learned" new pitch.

What happened with this? Shocking outcome,.... She got behind on almost every batter and struggled.

Learn from my mistake IF this is what is happening to your DD. Confidence is HUGE for most young pitchers. Pitches NEED to be called to the pitchers strengths FIRST. Use the new pitches as waste pitches or at least after the pitcher is ahead in the count.

(I hate myself for not intervening in the forcing of a non-confident new pitch into the primary pitch type role)

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Is the new pitch being used by coaching as a "primary" pitch?

My DD went through an experience recently where the coaching wanted to start almost all at-bats with the "just learned" new pitch.

What happened with this? Shocking outcome,.... She got behind on almost every batter and struggled.
Pitches NEED to be called to the pitchers strengths FIRST.
Great point!

Nov 29, 2009
Confidence is HUGE for most young pitchers. Pitches NEED to be called to the pitchers strengths FIRST. Use the new pitches as waste pitches or at least after the pitcher is ahead in the count.

This is exactly what I tell my pitchers who are working on a new pitch. I tell them use it in a game when making a mistake with it won't hurt you. I also tell them make sure their coach understands it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12