Stupid Things Coaches Say...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 14, 2010
Wow, 4 hours later to see why she didnt swing at a pitch down the middle of the plate. If the coach is on your case it means he cares, if hes not on your case it generally means your a lost cause.

Is it ok if I move the above statement to the topic "Stupid things a parent says"?

First, we have 15 minutes between TB games. That is plenty of time for you to go to concession stand and get something to drink. You probably even have time to hit the restroom. Stretch your legs before you have the exhausting chore of sitting and watching more softball. That 15 min between games may be the most hectic of my day. I don't have time to hold your DD's hand for anything. I have a game to prepare for. I have to deal with a lineup, pitching, injuries, etc. I don't have time to prop up your DD. Sorry. Not the priority. (Let's not forget that the players disperse immediately after a game for the restroom, food, water, etc. They don't usually stand there waiting to have a discussion as to why they failed. Besides, parents have often made use of their time by berating their DD for the very thing you evidently want me to do immediately.)

Secondly, I have found after a number of years, that it is often beneficial to avoid conversations in or around the heat of the moment. It's best for both parties. If I ask your daughter why she did something as dumb as stare at Strike 3 down the middle, she will probably take it even harder. She knows she did wrong. So what benefit is there in me immediately grilling/ questioning her over it?

Thirdly, logistically, I don't have much of a chance to interact during a game with players. When they are in the field, I am in the dugout. When they are in the dugout, I am in the field. So unless as your DD is starting her warm up pitches, I ask her about her propensity to stare at Strike 3, I don't have much opportunity to have skill discussions during a game. Unless I bench your D. Then we have lots of time. But then I have to deal with the DD's parents loudly questioning why I would take such a valuable player out of the game...

Fourth, and most important, we are not going to be able to change the moment when she decided not to swing. Nothing I say, you say, or a teammate says will change what has happened. No matter how quickly we talk about it, we don't get that moment back. If my SS doesn't get her glove to the ground and misses a ball, I may not ever say anything to her about it. She knows better. She just screwed up. She doesn't need an adult to remind her about it. If it happens again, then we will probably chat. But unless your DD is galactically stupid, she knows that she shouldn't take strike 3 down the middle. Is it that urgent that I remind her? In my experience, parents will do a pretty good job of telling the DD what they have done wrong. I have to focus on fixing the damage parents do to confidence.

Aug 20, 2013
"Don't worry about hitting the corners, just whip it in there".....10 minutes later......"Make sure you are hitting the corners."

This was the coach of the opposing team and I got an earful running the scoreboard. He said something to the kids and pitcher with every ball throw to his batters and by his pitcher. He just wouldn't shut up and let them play. And the signals...OMG.....it is 10U rec. ball.

But....they were a great team...so I guess he is doing it right. But he just wouldn't shut up EVER!

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Never watch a first pitch strike.

Any body who strikes out looking is gets pulled immediately.

(to non-starters as a group during practice) If you want to play, you need to start giving me 100%. (Believe me, they already did.)
I feel the same! The backward K is my hot button

Dec 29, 2010
Is it ok if I move the above statement to the topic "Stupid things a parent says"?

First, we have 15 minutes between TB games. That is plenty of time for you to go to concession stand and get something to drink. You probably even have time to hit the restroom. Stretch your legs before you have the exhausting chore of sitting and watching more softball. That 15 min between games may be the most hectic of my day. I don't have time to hold your DD's hand for anything. I have a game to prepare for. I have to deal with a lineup, pitching, injuries, etc. I don't have time to prop up your DD. Sorry. Not the priority. (Let's not forget that the players disperse immediately after a game for the restroom, food, water, etc. They don't usually stand there waiting to have a discussion as to why they failed. Besides, parents have often made use of their time by berating their DD for the very thing you evidently want me to do immediately.)

Secondly, I have found after a number of years, that it is often beneficial to avoid conversations in or around the heat of the moment. It's best for both parties. If I ask your daughter why she did something as dumb as stare at Strike 3 down the middle, she will probably take it even harder. She knows she did wrong. So what benefit is there in me immediately grilling/ questioning her over it?

Thirdly, logistically, I don't have much of a chance to interact during a game with players. When they are in the field, I am in the dugout. When they are in the dugout, I am in the field. So unless as your DD is starting her warm up pitches, I ask her about her propensity to stare at Strike 3, I don't have much opportunity to have skill discussions during a game. Unless I bench your D. Then we have lots of time. But then I have to deal with the DD's parents loudly questioning why I would take such a valuable player out of the game...

Fourth, and most important, we are not going to be able to change the moment when she decided not to swing. Nothing I say, you say, or a teammate says will change what has happened. No matter how quickly we talk about it, we don't get that moment back. If my SS doesn't get her glove to the ground and misses a ball, I may not ever say anything to her about it. She knows better. She just screwed up. She doesn't need an adult to remind her about it. If it happens again, then we will probably chat. But unless your DD is galactically stupid, she knows that she shouldn't take strike 3 down the middle. Is it that urgent that I remind her? In my experience, parents will do a pretty good job of telling the DD what they have done wrong. I have to focus on fixing the damage parents do to confidence.

And you can move your response to to coaches who know it all. 15 min between tb games? Where and what alphabet organization is that from. Maybe 10u, and if that if they dont rake the fields and chalk the lines up again. If thats the case, u entered a crappy tournament.

Dont make the game harder than it is. You want to be the one man show and know it all. Go ahead. You can be the next Joe Torrie and be all u can be. Its friggin softball, not solving world peace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG