Stumped

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2010
I think Chris is right. She needs more of a stride while staying turned sideways. The biggest thing i see, unless you were tell her not to throw hard, and im not trying to be rude, is a lack of desire to throw hard. The arm looks good to me, its the lower half not providing any power. Have her do the baseball pitcher throw into fence and encourage her to throw as hard as possible.
This may help her pitch faster to.She looks like she needs more intensity, she has plenty of size to be throwing alot harder.

Oct 12, 2009
Here's the clip slowed down...

Throw_SoftballPlayer_001_SF.gif

Again, while it may not seem like it, this is an above average throw. The biggest thing is that she is whipping the ball and not pushing it, which is huge.

P.S. In Frame 80, you can see that she's opening her front foot too soon. If she kept it closed a bit longer, and strode sideways a bit longer, that would increase the force with which her hips pull her shoulders around.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2010
On a side note ,Chris i was the one who posted the question on the turn your hand backwards drill. My dd s high school coach is still insiting the girls do this. My dd does her best not to do it when his not looking. The other day he ask the girls if there arms were sore, all of them raised there hands, excipted for one :) . His respose was thats because your not doing my drill right.

Oct 12, 2009
CO, I tried to be humble, but you're right, I am smarter than Candrea.

Intelligence has nothing to do with it.

The question is whether you're going to let the video show you what it wants to or whether you're going to stretch it to fit your preconceptions.

I doubt if Candrea has ever looked at video of his players throwing. If he did, he'd change his mind in about 2 minutes. Right now, he's just teaching what everyone teaches.

So, the point I made regarding getting the glove elbow higher now has increased credibility and validity.

At some point I would also like to see the glove side elbow get higher, at least to the same height as the back elbow.

However, I'm not sure I would suggest that right now because I have seen that lead to people forcing the shoulders open by throwing the glove or the glove side elbow around rather than letting the hips pull the shoulders around. With players at this stage, I actually encourage a dead front side so as to avoid this problem. They have to pull the shoulders around with the hips.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
On a side note ,Chris i was the one who posted the question on the turn your hand backwards drill. My dd s high school coach is still insiting the girls do this. My dd does her best not to do it when his not looking. The other day he ask the girls if there arms were sore, all of them raised there hands, excipted for one :) . His respose was thats because your not doing my drill right.

The girl in the clip above is doing the natural thing, which is to show the ball to 3B (for a RH thrower).

Sorry if I'm prickly about this, but it drives me crazy that people teach something that NOBODY did up until a few years ago and that I have seen cause tons of elbow problems.

P.S. In the Candrea clip, when they demo throwing, watch the player's wrist in one of the first throws. She shows the ball to CF, but right before her arm starts to accelerate, her wrist turns so that she's showing the ball to 3B. Her mind thinks she has to show the ball to CF, but her body knows it's better to show the ball to 3B.

P.P.S. I was watching a HS catcher do this, and showing the ball to CF was costing him a couple of tenths in his pop time. As he got up to throw, his wrist was twisting like crazy and his lower body actually paused for a second to wait for his arm to catch up. It was sad to watch.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2010
I know what you mean. Had some girls at a travel practice, new to our team and they were doing this drill. They dont do it now. As for high school my dd is a freshman and the varsity pitcher. Bugs me everytime i see him showing them this, since he doesnt throw this way. Im just waiting till my dd gets some games under her belt to talk to him about it. I figure if she is striking people out he cant hold it against her.

Sep 16, 2009
Hey guys -- thanks for all the replies. She's not throwing hard in this video...some of you noticed that. She was warming up prior to pitching with me. I should have video'd her throwing as hard as she could but this was just "bonus" footage I had before I was doing some pitching footage to analyze.

Nevertheless, her throw pretty much looks like this when she's trying hard. My feeling is she doesn't have much flip on the ball -- it just kind of rolls off her fingers, she's letting the grip go before any sort of wrist snap. You gave me some good ideas of things to try. She's a 1b, P, LF on the team. I have this "50mph" club on the team which is a drill we run every now and then to see how the arm strength is coming along with the radar gun. We also do a lot of long toss to try to build up strength and the girls are improving. We're a first year 14. The max on the team is 66mph..most everyone is in the 50mph club except my daughter and a couple other girls and my daughter is so competitive it just ticks her off!

Thanks again, coaches.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Wait. Are we saying all pitchers should throw as hard overhand as under? The job of the pitcher is to make sure there is no need in any overhand throws.......right? :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves