Stronger Throws to 2nd

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Don

Mar 10, 2010
Richmond, VA
We got the New England Catching Camp DVD a couple of months ago, and it has been a HUGE help for my 13 y/o daughter. She has started blocking really well (no passed balls her last game, although the pitcher really gave her a workout) and she has a great head for the game.

The only real issue that she is having is the velocity of her throw to second. She has been practicing the method shown in the DVD (sliding her right foot to center and stepping forward with her left) and while her form looks pretty good, she (and her coach) would like to get more speed in her throw. Unfortunately, that's all her coach sees and while the starting catcher lets ball after ball get by her, she does throw a lot harder than my DD, so she gets to start 5 out of 6 games.

Any suggestions on what we can do and how best to improve?

Thanks

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Look at how she is actually throwing the ball, where is her glove hand and throwing arm? How does she finish? It isn't necessarily about speed when being quick will do.

Sep 17, 2009
Try to turn the coach's focus (and your DDs) to "pop time" from pure speed, time from pop in her glove to pop in second basemen's glove....hard throws with big windups or poor footwork/exchange are very deceiving...Under 2.0 seconds is generally pretty good. It's the results that count, not the show : >

May 7, 2008
Hudson, NH
We got the New England Catching Camp DVD a couple of months ago, and it has been a HUGE help for my 13 y/o daughter. She has started blocking really well (no passed balls her last game, although the pitcher really gave her a workout) and she has a great head for the game.

The only real issue that she is having is the velocity of her throw to second. She has been practicing the method shown in the DVD (sliding her right foot to center and stepping forward with her left) and while her form looks pretty good, she (and her coach) would like to get more speed in her throw. Unfortunately, that's all her coach sees and while the starting catcher lets ball after ball get by her, she does throw a lot harder than my DD, so she gets to start 5 out of 6 games.

Thanks

Don,
RichK has the right idea. Velocity is a good thing but can be deceiving. The real equalizer is the Pop time. The time from when the ball hits the catchers glove till it hits the infielders glove. That is the only way to compare catchers equally.

Thanks for the feedback on my DVD. I would love to chat about your concerns. If you email me your phone number I would be glad to call you to go over some thoughts. My email is coachweaver@catchingcamp.com

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Don, If you call Dave Weaver, be prepared to; Make a new friend, learn a LOT about catching, possibly teach the position some day yourself! You won't regret that phone call! :D

Feb 14, 2010
I can't wait for the NECC November 20th. My daughter is going and she can't wait. She just turned 14 and this past summer @ the MU softball camp her pop time was clocked @ 1.81 and I know there is even more in there.

Crap, just got an e-mail saying the clinic has been cancelled. Can't tell you how disappointed we are. I've heard nothing but rave reviews and my daughter was soo excited. Guess we'll just buy the DVD, bummer.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2008
I got a email today stating Coach Weaver has been battling rectal cancer since June. Here is what was in the email -

Hello to the friends of the New England Catching Camp. This is Jay Weaver, most of you know my dad Dave Weaver as Coach Weaver.

I have felt it is time to share with you all a health situation that my dad has been battling since June of this year. Many local families are aware of it but I feel I needed to extend this information to the rest of our sports family.

On June 10th of this year my dad received word from his doctor that he had rectal cancer. Needless to say this shocked us. Just 4-1/2 years ago he had a clean colonoscopy. The cancer had snuck in under the radar in a very short period of time.

He began immediate visits to the Lahey Clinic in Burlington MA. They discovered that the tumor had almost completely blocked his rectum. So on 6/18 he had a temporary colostomy put in. This allowed him to eat and stay strong during the 6 weeks of radiation and chemo.

That treatment was completed in the end of August and he was then given a 6 week rest time to get ready for surgery. His surgery was Oct 7th. It was decided before hand that too much damage had been done to the rectum and other tissue in the area so a very extensive procedure call an AP Resection was done. His colostomy will be permanent. He is resting at home now after having to go back in for a few days due to a post-op infection. This will put his recovery back a few weeks but he just has to take it slow and wait till the infected section of the incision heals.

The real good news was that the post-op biopsy was negative. No active cancer cells could be found in any of the tissue, lymph nodes or other structures removed. The surrounding remaining tissues were also found to be clean. He will have many years of coaching catchers ahead of him.

My family has been so blessed with all the prayers so far and ask for continued prayers as dad walks down this road. The Lord has been so faithful to my dad through this and he gives Him all the praise for the strength he has. His favorite verse through this all has been Phil 4:13

Now comes the hard part of this letter. It is always hard to ask others for help, especially when finances are involved. My dad is still being paid while on medical leave from his day job but his coaching business has made up a growing part of our family income over the past years. Due to the severity of the surgery that has left him quite weak and unable to coach now or in the near future we are having a financial shortfall to cover the family expenses.

If you feel lead to help us get through this financial tough time we would greatly appreciate it. Checks can be made out to Dave Weaver and mailed to:

Friends of Dave Weaver

5 Partridge Circle

Hudson NH 03051

If you would like to make a donation by credit card there is a link below that will allow you to donate by credit or debit card.

Click here to donate

Just reply to this email if you have any questions for me as I monitor all in coming emails for the camp.

Thanks for your help, my dad looks forward to getting back on the field with all the great baseball and softball catchers he has met over the years.

Sincerely,

Jay Weaver

Director of Operations

New England Catching Camp

Nov 7, 2010
I agree with everyone else about pop time. Its about how fast the ball gets to second. Bottom line if you want to strengthen your arm you must play lots of long toss!!! Work to the point were you just make it with a one hop. Make sure to use proper form and try to get as far apart as arm strength will allow!

Sep 4, 2009

Thanks
The way I remember the video is that right foot is centered AND THEN THE HIPS TURN TO 2nd...This portion of the move is where a lot of power is generated....As she becomes more comfortable (and quicker) with the move she will develope a rythm which will also add some zip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi