Strike or foul?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2010
Scenario 1: Batted ball hits ground in fair territory on home plate side of 3rd base, passes over the edge of the base, and lands in foul territory where it comes to rest.

Scenario 2: Batted ball hits ground in fair territory on home plate side of 3rd base, rolls into foul territory around the base, then rolls back into fair territory in the outfield where it is first touched by a fielder.

To expand on BretMan's (100% correct, of course) answers: A ball that has hit the ground is judged as fair or foul based on where it passes first or third, if it hasn't been touched before then. When the ball in 1 passes over part of the base, it's fair. When the ball in 2 rolls past third in foul territory, it's foul.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Hijack!!! Now for some fun. Pitcher pitches ball but crow hops when she does. The batter takes a healthy swing and hits the ball with her hand and bat. The batter starts running and throws the bat into fair territory. The ball has a lot of spin on it and comes rolling back to the bat and hits it while it is still moving. The catcher picks the ball up and in her haste to throw the ball to first, she hits the runner. The runner runs over the 1st basemen who is standing on 1st waiting on the ball. The runner is knocked down by the 1st baseman and the 1st base coach picks her up and pushes her toward second, where she slides in safely. Can you imagine the uproar when the BU called IP which could not be heard above all the noise? Hee, Hee!

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Hijack!!! Now for some fun. Pitcher pitches ball but crow hops when she does. The batter takes a healthy swing and hits the ball with her hand and bat.

Stop right there. Assuming no other runners on base, it is simply a ball on the batter.

The batter starts running and throws the bat into fair territory. The ball has a lot of spin on it and comes rolling back to the bat and hits it while it is still moving. The catcher picks the ball up and in her haste to throw the ball to first, she hits the runner. The runner runs over the 1st basemen who is standing on 1st waiting on the ball. The runner is knocked down by the 1st baseman and the 1st base coach picks her up and pushes her toward second, where she slides in safely. Can you imagine the uproar when the BU called IP which could not be heard above all the noise? Hee, Hee!

Wouldn't care about what the BU says, it is the PU who should be throwing his/her arms in the air and calling "dead ball".

When swinging the bat, you are putting your hands into the path of the pitch
attempting to put the ball in play, I have seen batters hit in the hands during
the swing plenty of times, some are awarded 1B, most are not, I agree dead ball strike

Ot a tad in a baseball game babe ruth he was like a check swing type and the player hands got hit I award him the base i didn't consider him he went (i don't know if i had a partner there or not) other coach wanted me to call a strike

May 13, 2008
Stop right there. Assuming no other runners on base, it is simply a ball on the batter.

Wouldn't care about what the BU says, it is the PU who should be throwing his/her arms in the air and calling "dead ball".

If the batter hits the ball on a delivered illegal pitch, the coach of the team at bat will have the option of the result of the play or the penalty for an illegal pitch. Either official can call an illegal pitch. The illegal pitch is considered a delayed dead ball and the official should only voice illegal pitch with left arm extended to the side.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
If the batter hits the ball on a delivered illegal pitch, the coach of the team at bat will have the option of the result of the play or the penalty for an illegal pitch. Either official can call an illegal pitch. The illegal pitch is considered a delayed dead ball and the official should only voice illegal pitch with left arm extended to the side.

Read the scenario again....

...The batter takes a healthy swing and hits the ball with her hand and bat...

He didin't say if the ball hit the hand first or the bat first, but either way it is a dead ball, the outcome of which is a strike on the batter.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
...The batter takes a healthy swing and hits the ball with her hand and bat...
He didin't say if the ball hit the hand first or the bat first, but either way it is a dead ball, the outcome of which is a strike on the batter.

But there would be a difference with 2 strikes in this case.

If it 1st hit the bat, then the hands (difficult to do I know) it would be a foul ball dead ball.

If it 1st hit the hands, then the bat it would be a dead ball strike 3.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06