Strike or foul?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
Excellent thread.

I think that other than rules pertaining to OBS and INT, the rulesets revolving around a pitched ball that hits a batter is indeed one of the most misunderstood as previously mentioned.

Jan 20, 2010
Love this thread....Got one for you.....batter shows bunt. Pitched ball hits batter who is attempting to bunt in the hands go into foul area. Bat remains out in front of the plate. This was on a 0-1 count. Batter was awarded 1st on the HBP, I questioned the call as to why it was not a strike as the bat was in a bunting position out in front of the plate and batter did not attempt to move it back or get out of the way. Anyway play ended up being runner placed on 1st by HBP. I thought Ump was wrong

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Love this thread....Got one for you.....batter shows bunt. Pitched ball hits batter who is attempting to bunt in the hands go into foul area. Bat remains out in front of the plate. This was on a 0-1 count. Batter was awarded 1st on the HBP, I questioned the call as to why it was not a strike as the bat was in a bunting position out in front of the plate and batter did not attempt to move it back or get out of the way. Anyway play ended up being runner placed on 1st by HBP. I thought Ump was wrong

Speaking ASA, the position of the bat is irrelevant. The umpire judges whether or not the batter attempted to strike the ball. If not, it is HBP.

Nov 22, 2010
Somewhere in Malaysia
3. If a batter swings and the ball hits his hands which send it into fair or foul
territory, the ball is dead immediately; A strike is called on the batter;
and if it is the third strike, the batter is out.

Do you mean the third strike ball must be caught by the catcher?

How about on the third strike the ball hit the batter hand goes in to foul territory or fair territory (without been caught by the catcher). Is batter considered out?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Do you mean the third strike ball must be caught by the catcher?

How about on the third strike the ball hit the batter hand goes in to foul territory or fair territory (without been caught by the catcher). Is batter considered out?

Where did your citation say anything about the catcher?

It is very simple. A ball which hits the batter is DEAD every time, NO exceptions. If the batter swings and doesn't make contact with the bat, it is a strike.

Nov 22, 2010
Somewhere in Malaysia
I'm sorry for being confused (my English is not so good). I just quote from knightsb post.... So what he meant with this sentence.... "If a batter swings and the ball hits his hands which send it into fair or foul
and if it is the third strike, the batter is out."

Why the batter is out?

Jun 22, 2008
I'm sorry for being confused (my English is not so good). I just quote from knightsb post.... So what he meant with this sentence.... "If a batter swings and the ball hits his hands which send it into fair or foul
and if it is the third strike, the batter is out."

Why the batter is out?

Because thats what the rule says. As MTR already stated, any swing at a pitch is a strike, even if the pitch hits the batter. If it is strike 3, the batter is out.

May 30, 2011
BretMan - if you read the rule, as posted by knightsb above, you will notice that the hands are NOT considered part of the bat if the batter does not swing at the pitch, but the hands ARE considered part of the bat if the batter swings.....

NO.. the hands are NEVER part of the bat. Go down to any sporting goods store. Go to the bat aisle. Not a single bat there will have hands attatched to it. I mean they would rot! :)

Swinging or not, the hands are not part of the bat. Swing and get hit in the hand it's strike 3. Swing and hit bat then hit the batter.. foul ball.

Feb 3, 2011
Scenario 1: Batted ball hits ground in fair territory on home plate side of 3rd base, passes over the edge of the base, and lands in foul territory where it comes to rest.

Scenario 2: Batted ball hits ground in fair territory on home plate side of 3rd base, rolls into foul territory around the base, then rolls back into fair territory in the outfield where it is first touched by a fielder.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma