Stride Foot Hover

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
I don't think the foot has to be lower necessarily. The toe-touch and heel plant can be ALMOST simultaneous.

One of the things that can be better adjusted to is pitch location. If the toe hasn't touched down yet the batter should be better able to adjust to an inside or outside pitch. In addition to being better able to time the pitch.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Phreak, I don't think anyone is advocating here that a hitter remain in the hover position but I could be wrong. I don't think for example, the hover being discussed would be such that when the hitter takes a pitch he/she would still be hovering front foot.

Oct 25, 2009
Phreak, I don't think anyone is advocating here that a hitter remain in the hover position but I could be wrong. I don't think for example, the hover being discussed would be such that when the hitter takes a pitch he/she would still be hovering front foot.

I agree. I believe toe touch would be at normal timing, whether there was a swing or not.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
"If the toe hasn't touched down yet the batter should be better able to adjust to an inside or outside pitch. In addition to being better able to time the pitch." I reading you teach them to step different based on an inside or outside pitch ? We teach heel plant to adjust to the pitch speed, but I'm confused with the above. Toe touch and heel plant are two different things and can happen at the same time, based on pitch speed.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
I've noticed quite a few batters that seem to hover using kick-stride type swings, also. IOW, they control the speed to toe-touch; timing.

Some batters seem to just go to toe touch using the same timing about every time. The ones that hover vary that time. If that makes sense in words.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA