Stride Foot Hover

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
Has anyone heard of the concept of the stride foot hovering before toe touch/heel plant? IOW, the stride is more of a controlled glide than a step.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
No, I have not heard of that, and I can't figure out how to do it. Do you have more information?

It's a little bit like when a baseball pitcher is in the stretch and slide-steps. They load their rear leg and the lead foot glides close to the ground to the plant area.

Hitters need to load to the rear leg. When they do that some hitters "leg kick" their front foot higher than others. Some don't have much of a "leg kick" at all and just have the front foot "hover" as it moves back then forward to the landing area. It still touches down at the toe first then to the heel.

Oct 25, 2009
It's a little bit like when a baseball pitcher is in the stretch and slide-steps. They load their rear leg and the lead foot glides close to the ground to the plant area.

Hitters need to load to the rear leg. When they do that some hitters "leg kick" their front foot higher than others. Some don't have much of a "leg kick" at all and just have the front foot "hover" as it moves back then forward to the landing area. It still touches down at the toe first then to the heel.

Jim, what are some of the advantages the hover gives a batter?

Last edited:

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
Jim, what are some of the advantages the hover gives a batter?

It's a way to smooth out and quiet down ridged and quick feet. Slowing down and controlling the feet allows for more overall control of the swing.

It also gives the hitter a more distinct feel of riding the weight on the back side.

Oct 25, 2009
It's a way to smooth out and quiet down ridged and quick feet. Slowing down and controlling the feet allows for more overall control of the swing.

It also gives the hitter a more distinct feel of riding the weight on the back side.

Thanks. That's the way I think it does, also. I believe it helps keep the batter dynamically ready, as opposed to possibly getting to toe-touch too early and coming to a stop.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia

Would you mean more controll as in adjustability? I.E., Would keeping the foot lower allow toe touch to be sped up or slowed down as necessary to adjust to the pitch speed?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee