Strength exercises for beginning 9yo pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2019
9yo DD is starting to pitch, and was wondering what anyone suggests to build some strength for a very, very petite kid. She is short and thin but pretty strong for her size from being a pretty hard working gymnast from a young age, but being so small it sure can’t hurt to gain a little bit more strength. Any ideas?
How many pitches is it safe to have her throw in a session?

Nov 8, 2018
Body weight exercises and use of TRX, med balls etc are great for young kids.
Pitch count depends on the kid and their tolerance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 26, 2019
Pitch count depends on the kid and their tolerance.

She was on a roll a few weeks ago and wanted to keep going and going, was not tired or sore, but it was getting dark when she hit 130 pitches. I am not sure if is a god idea to do that on a regular basis or not.

Feb 25, 2020
9yo DD is starting to pitch, and was wondering what anyone suggests to build some strength for a very, very petite kid. She is short and thin but pretty strong for her size from being a pretty hard working gymnast from a young age, but being so small it sure can’t hurt to gain a little bit more strength. Any ideas?
How many pitches is it safe to have her throw in a session?

I've been acquiring some equipment for myself for home workouts and ended up picking up a 6 lb one of these for my DD. (Almost 9)

It's fun and relativley safe. We'll do a little circuit where you pickem up overhead and slam 5 times. Throw sidewys 5 each side and then throw backward over head 5 times. (X3 or 5).

Nov 8, 2018
She was on a roll a few weeks ago and wanted to keep going and going, was not tired or sore, but it was getting dark when she hit 130 pitches. I am not sure if is a god idea to do that on a regular basis or not.

If she does 130 and feels ok the next day it’s all good. Really depends on the kid. There will be a breaking point when they get real sore or you see a breakdown on energy or accuracy or velocity. You’ll know it’s time to shut it down.
Their mechanics will break when they get tired.

Jan 28, 2017
I think a functional movement screening is a great way to start with any athlete. Correct the issues before thay become issues.

Nov 8, 2018
What is a functional movement screening? Never heard of it before

It’s a physical movement screening that chiropractic or personal trainers may use to determine areas of physical restrictions or concerns.
It’s a bunch of movements that are rated.

Apr 28, 2014
If we had to do it over again I would have DD start doing core work sooner. You can never have too much core strength. I do like the TRX system mentioned above. At 9 years old body weight should be plenty to build strength. The other things I would focus on are sprints and a mile or two run every other day to build up endurance. Add that to some long toss and you have all the right things to get off to a great start.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles