Strangest thing an Umpire has said to you?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
Another strange thing was a conversation in the parking lot between games at a 12U A tournament a couple of years ago. The teams were all very good teams with good pitchers. Ump is talking to the other guy and says "This if my first time umping 12U, do you think I need to wear gear of just my mask behind the plate". He answers "probably not". 20 minutes later he was heading back for his gear.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Another strange thing was a conversation in the parking lot between games at a 12U A tournament a couple of years ago. The teams were all very good teams with good pitchers. Ump is talking to the other guy and says "This if my first time umping 12U, do you think I need to wear gear of just my mask behind the plate". He answers "probably not". 20 minutes later he was heading back for his gear.

In related news...

Last year, during a 10U rec game, with our back-up catcher behind the plate (for infield defense reasons), the ump took a pitch directly to the chest and another directly to the mask. Our #1 pitcher was in the circle, throwing 45mph-ish . After getting his bell rung, he steps out from behind the plate, walks over to our HC and asks if we had another catcher.

Jun 7, 2013
In related news...

Last year, during a 10U rec game, with our back-up catcher behind the plate (for infield defense reasons), the ump took a pitch directly to the chest and another directly to the mask. Our #1 pitcher was in the circle, throwing 45mph-ish . After getting his bell rung, he steps out from behind the plate, walks over to our HC and asks if we had another catcher.

I'd ask if we could have a different umpire!

Apr 22, 2012
Our shortstop gets bumped by runner coming off of 2nd trying to make a play on the ball. Field ump calls nothing, runner safe at third. Appeal to plate ump and he states "Its like in basketball when there is incidental contact." I got a technical foul called on me after that. HS Varsity

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
In related news...

I was hitting in a baseball game last summer when I heard a bit of a scuffle behind me. The pitch was right down the middle so I took a rip at it, but fouled it straight back. Then I heard somebody howling in pain behind me. Turned out that the catcher had called a pitchout and moved behind the other batter's box, but the pitcher missed the sign. I fouled the ball straight into the umpire's thigh.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
With 2 strikes, the opponent's batter hits a foul tip. Batter starts returning to her dugout and the next batter starts to take her place in the batter's box when the umpire calls the previous batter back.
Me: "Blue, that's a foul tip, batter's out."
Blue: "No such thing as foul tip in softball."
Me: "???????"
Opposing Coach: "Yeah there is, blue, my batter is out."
Blue: "Oh, okay, I didn't know you guys played like that."

There was much head-shaking the rest of the game from both sides. Fortunately we are on friendly terms with the other team and we both just took it in stride.

Jan 23, 2014
We were playing in a tournament on turf fields and it had been raining a bit. So you can imagine those fields were a little slick and of course the ball tends to squirt when it hits the field. DD was playing catcher and the pitcher kept on throwing it low and DD missed a few hitting the ump in the shin. He tells her, If you can't get those balls, you don't deserve to be out here. This was 12U! DD was crying behind her mask and I asked her what is going on? Needless to say I wasn't too pleased.
I would have had many words with the UIC. Many. I don't coach, my a** probably would have been watching from the parking lot. Wow.

Dec 27, 2014
I could write for half an hour on today's umpiring, but I will leave it with this. We are facing extremely slow pitching at our 10u rec game today. DD goes to the front of the box like she always does against 25 MPH pitching. Third time up blue tells her to step back because he does not want to have to call her out for being out of the batters box. DD is nine and has not encountered too much weirdness yet so kind of looks at me and then slides back a bit. By the elapsed time time in the game we should have been in the fifth inning but were just trudging through the third thanks to his god awful "tutoring" of our kids. He was like a human time delay...

Oct 22, 2009
"She makes that fish face at me one more time, and every pitch out of her hand, I'm calling a ball".

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Not me but a coach I know. There is a girl who has been on my DDs team whose nickname was/is Up. The coach would call out to her come on up. Get aggressive up. We need you up... Finally the plate ump calls time walks over to the dugout and says "you got a problem with me?" Coach is confused as he hasn't said a word to him. "I don't know what your talking about". " all game all I hear from you is come on ump, we need this ump... All sorts of things".

Coach starts laughing, the girls are giggling. Coach tells him I'm talking to the batter her name is Up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole